4 Days Using Retin-A, is it Normal for my Face to Burn/Sting? (Photos)

I just started using Retin-A, 0.0025% four days ago. Is it normal for it to burn sting when i put the gel on and my face is very dry skin is flakin off and I have big red patches around mouth and cheeks thanks

Retin-A Burning and Stinging

+4

While it is normal for some redness, burning, or stinging from Retin-A, your photos suggest your results may be a bit more than I would be comfortable with. I recommend patients slowly begin a Retin-A regimen, a few times a week, at night; as well as daily sunscreen and moisturizer. I don't know how your physician recommended you apply it, but I would suggest you check in with him/her for reevaluation and possible change in frequency of application or strength of prescription.

Retin-A and dry skin

+2

There are a number of things that may be causing your irritation. Retin-A may cause irritation in some patients, and the gel carrier that the medication is suspended in may also be contributing.  Furthermore, using other products along with Retin-A may increase the likelihood of irritation.  I recommend that you consult your prescribing dermatologist, bringing along all topical preparations (soaps, moisturizers, toners, etc) to determine the most likely cause.

Dallas Dermatologist