IUD and Breast Augmentation?

Hi i have the copper IUD *paragard* and dermal anchor piercings *G23 titanium* and i wanted to know if both need to be removed prior to surgery. Ive read around forums with girls that said they didnt need to remove them but im still iffy on that. thank you.

IUD and dermal anchotings and surgery

+3

Dear nickysixx,

The presence of an IUD will not have an affect on your surgery, so it can be left in. With the dermal anchors, it depends on where they are located. The concern with metal piercings is that there is a risk of causing burns to the skin where the piercing is located. Surgeons use a device that utilizes electricity to cauterize (burn) blood vessels during surgery. If the electric current comes close enough to something made of metal, it will burn any tissue that the metal is contact with. This becomes a concern when a piercing is within the field of surgery (e.g. on the chest, if a breast augmentation is being performed). The risk is actually quite low, and even lower as you move away from the surgical site, but not zero.

Bottom line. The risk for injury is low. If you want the least risk, then take the dermal anchors out. I have done this for patients, and put them back in at the end of surgery, while they are still asleep, no big deal. I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Lawrence Tong MD FACS FRCSC

Breast augmentation--IUD is no problem; dermal anchors can be left in also!

+2

Many women with IUDs, Harrington rods (metal rods for spine straightening), and other metal prostheses (hips, knees, etc.) have undergone breast enlargement with implants without any problem at all. You can safely leave your IUD in and proceed with your surgery without concern.

I have operated on patients with dermal anchors as well, but these should be clean, present in non-infected or inflamed skin, and be able to be covered with sterile adhesive films if in the surgical field. Nipple piercings should be removed, and can easily be replaced after surgery is completed.

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation and Body Piercing

+1

Hi nickysixx-

No, you are not required to remove the IUD device prior to surgery. Depending on your surgeon's operative plan, a breast augmentation should take between 1-2 hours at the most and the risk of deep vein clots is low. As far as the dermal anchor, if it is near the operative field, YES, I would have you remove it prior. We have actually had patients remove them as we are getting them ready to go to the operating room, and then help them replace them before they go home so they do not loose the piercing.

Hope this helps!

Good Luck!

Dr. C

John Philip Connors III, MD, FACS

Piercings during breast augmentation

+1

Your IUD should be safe during breast augmentation. Body piercings can pose a small risk if they could contact a wet surface or are within the surgical area. Grounding can occur between the metal and the electrical equipment used posing a risk of burn from the electrical contact and temporary removal may be best.

peterejohnsonmd

Breast augmentation with IUD and dermal anchor piercings

+1

There is no reason to remove the IUD prior to surgery.  The IUD will not be touching any grounding surface so there is no risk of burns occuring.  The dermal anchor piercings may require either removal (if they are in the operative field and can't be prepped and draped sterily)  if your surgeon feels there is a risk of skin burns due to their location or capping them to protect the skin.  Let your surgeon know where the piercings are so proper plans can be made.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Breast augmentation with dermal anchors and IUDs

+1

Breast augmentation has been done with dermal anchors and IUDs in our practice.  It is always a great idea to discuss these facts directly with your surgeon so that they are aware and make any necessary adjustments in their specific protocols. Breast augmentation is one of the more easily tolerated procedures in our practice and we have not seen an increase in infections or dvt associated with the IUD or dermal anchors.  Best wishes.

Charles Perry, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Piercings and Breast Implants

+1

Maybe it because I am also in California, but I am familiar with dermal anchor piercings. As long as they are not in the operative field they are fine. The main concern is touching them with the electrocautery during surgery and causing a burn. Dermal anchors on the upper chest can be covered with tape and left in place. Piercings near the incision would best be removed for surgery. Other types of piercings, like nipple piercings should also be removed for surgery. If the areas are mature, they can be replaced at the end of surgery.l Your IUD should not interfere with your breast augmentation surgery. 

Below is a link to an article on breast augmentation and nipple piercings.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

No need for removal during Breast Augmentation

+1

You should not have to worry about removal. As long as you let your provider know in advance and if electrocautery is used during your surgery (Which it will be), they will adjust your grounding pad to be on the safe side. 

David Rankin, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

IUD stays in

+1

We have had the patient leave the IUD in place without any adverse effects. If on oral contraceptives for less than a year we have the patient stop them at least 1 month prior to the procedure to reduce the risk of blood clots in the deep veins.

Victor Au, MD
Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon

IUD and Breast Augmentation

+1

I 'm in full agreement with other expert posters. There is no relationship between IUD and impant surgery. But you should ask your chosen surgeon. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski