2 Years Post-Op I Have A Bump Of Scar Tissue On My Nose. Will A Steroid Injection Fix This?

It's been almost 2 years after my Rhinoplasty and there is a bump above my left nostril. My doctor said it's scar tissue and injected the center of my nose tip with steroids. At this stage of my recovery, will Steroid injection work? I am Asian and he said I should avoid doing surgery on it again because it might cause more scar tissue. I don't know what to do.

Steroid injection is commonly used to treat hypertrophic scars.

+1

Steroid injection is commonly used to treat excess scar tissues but it has a risk of skin thinning and depigmentation. It can be used to treat old scars.

Assuming your nose bump is a scar tissue, you may benefit from steroid injection treatment.

Bump above the nostril

+1

Pictures would be helpful but it could either be cartilage, graft material or scar tissue. I would avoid steroid injection unless it's absolutely clear that it is scar tissue.

Charles S. Lee, MD, FACS

Scar tissue of nose

+1

I am not a big fan of steroid injections for the nose but in some cases it is a reasonable option to try.  Another way to treat this is possibly surgery, but without an exam I can not be sure.

+1

Typically steroid injections are performed during the first 6 months after a Rhinoplasty when the scar tissue is forming.  Not sure it will have an effect at 2 years post op.

Kenalog Injections for Scar Tissue 2 Years Post Rhinoplasty

+1

Kenalog steroid injections may help to decrease or eliminate scar tissue, even 2 years after rhinoplasty. If this is not successful, consider a revision despite the small risk of repeat scar formation  post-op.  

Bump on nasal tip - is steroid treatment reasonable?

+1

Scar  tissue may be able to be treated with very low dose and precise placement of a steroid medication such as kenalog. However, the downside risks can be quite significant, noticeable and irreversible. One must be sure that this bump is the result of scar tissue rather than some other issue such as an irregularity of cartilage. A second opinion may be a prudent choice.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Bump after rhinoplasty

+1

It's certainly worth a try if it is scar tisuue. If it is displaced cartilage then you will need to have it revised.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bump on nose after rhinoplasty

+1

I think steroid injections are reasonable if the bump you feel is truly a scar.  It is most likely scar tissue if it were present to some degree close to the time of your surgery.  Other things can cause bumps, however.  I would also look into a second opinion regarding what that bump might be.  More information is needed such as is it painful, is it red or warm, when exactly did the bump appear, any recent history of trauma, etc.  Surgical correction of the bump or removal of limited scar tissue does not necessarily have to be difficult.

Andre Panossian, MD, FACS
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Scar tissue

+1

Even at this point in time steroids are worth a try. I have not been very succesful with this approach but, it is worth a try over several weeks and several injections before you resort to surgery

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Steroid injection in scar tissue after rhinoplasty

+1

Yes, steroid injections can be used to treat scar tissue in the nose. Even 2 years after surgery, it is possible for a kenalog injection to help resolve an area of scar tissue. However, steroids must be used judiciously. Overuse can lead to thinning of the skin.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon