It's Been Three Months Since my Chin Lipo, is This my Final Result? (photo)

I had liposuction on my chin/jaw line, and there is still a good few centimeters of either fat or skin behind my chin that was suppose to be gone. There's a chance it could just be skin, so could the skin still continue to tighten up after three months? I only had a little fat removed, plus I'm only 23 so my doctor told me I would have no problem with this since my skin is elastic. I read somewhere that the best results come at four months, is this true? Is there anything I can do to help?

Chin lipo result at 3 months

+2

At three months after a chin lipo, one should have a very good idea of what the final result will be.  The images provided are not really clear so it is difficult to judge your results.  You may have some residual swelling from the procedure.  A simple way to evaluate for persistent swelling is to pinch the soft in the operated area between your fingers - if it feels normal without areas of firmness then the swelling is gone.  Discuss your concerns with your surgeon to get his/her input.  Good luck! 

Oakland Plastic Surgeon

Chin Liposuction Final Result takes longer than 3 months

+1

You are getting close to seeing your final result at 3 months especially if the suppleness of your skin is similar to your preop state, but you are not there yet. I tell my patients it takes up to a year for final resolution of the healing process. A chin strap often hastens recovery after neck/submental chin liposuction. In my experience, the above rough time table is usually delayed in smokers, when multiple procedures are performed together and when resurfacing procedures are done at the same time as the lift. The same is true if complications occur such as infection, hematoma, skin loss or compromise, etc

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

An improvement in your results will definitely continue for even 6-12 months after your surgery

+1

Do not lose hope yet.  An improvement in your results will definitely continue for even 6-12 months after your surgery.  I agree with your doctor that, at 23, your skin elasticity  will solve your problem over time.

Michael R. Macdonald, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin lipo result

+1
It is hard to tell from the photos. You are well on the road to complete healing. The photos are not showing residual fat but rather the shape of your neck. When a patient has a small amount of fat, the result will be subtle.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

OK-unimpressive neck liposuction.

+1

In the grand scheme of things, having a non-result is much better than have had too much fat removed.  Although the technical details of performing neck liposuction are very straight forward, one still has to have a sculptor's eye to know how much fat needs to be removed and from what areas the fat needs to be removed.  Some inexpereinced liposuction surgeons (and they are hard to discern from expereinced liposuction surgeons because all surgeons beat their chest and say how I am, er they are) sometimes are very concrete about what areas they are treating.  Your photos do suggest that a time bit of fat was removed just under the chin.  However, a chin liposuction is not really a chin liposuction.  It needs to be a chin, neck, lower face liposution to get a great result.  What one is doing is removing fat to define the jaw line.  This should start back just below the ear lobes and define the volume at the neck/jaw line to sculpt this separation.  I am not sure I can recommend going back to the original doc for more work.  Bear in mind that this type of surgery can be performed in an office setting very comfortably under local anesthesia with virtually no down time.  Many patients have the procedure on a thursday and by Monday, no one knows they just had surgery.