It's my First Day of Surgery, and my Nose is Filled with Bright Red Blood and Presumably Mucus?

Rhinoplasty, my nose still drips very bright red blood, but very very thick. Like blood that is the consistency of snot. (Sorry, how else to to describe it) I worry I will choke on thick blood in mt sleep. Is this much blood/mucus normal? Thank you? Also I have a cast on, seems like ice packs don't really help the brigade with such a big cast. Thanks so much, Angela

Blood and mucus following rhinoplasty

+1

In general, the typical side effects of rhinoplasty may include the following:

1) Mild pain
2) Congestion
3) Blood tinged discharge for 48-72 hours following surgery
4) Swelling
5) Numbness

It is not abnormal to have a blood tinged discharge your first day following surgery.  You body will not allow you choke on the thick blood during your sleep.  If you get too much blood, you will wake up and cough it up.  If are believe that you are having more than a normal amount of nasal discharge, I would call you doctor and undergo an evaluation.

And you do not want to apply the ice directly to your nose. A homeopathic remedy such as Arnica Montana will help with both swelling and any bruising that is present. I would recommend speaking with your surgeon regarding any immediate concerns. Thanks and I hope this helps!

Web reference: http://www.carolinafacialplasticsurgery.com/surgical-procedures/rhinoplasty/

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thick mucous and blood after rhinoplasty

+1

What you describe sounds normal for the healing process following rhinoplasty. I rarely pack my rhinoplasty patients post operatively and I almost always instruct them to rinse their nose with saline nasal rinses three times per day in the first post-operative week and often for several weeks. I would follow up with your surgeon to ensure that you are healing according to plan.

Rhinoplasty what to expect in the first week

+1

What to expect week one post rhinoplasty

1. Minor bleeding is normal:  clean your nose with q-tips soaked in peroxide and apply antibiotic ointment.  I don't pack my patients and tell them to change their "drip pad" every few hours for 2 days.  If you have packing, this usually is removed after a few days.
  2. Mucous is expected.  Keep your nose clean via above outlined instructions.  May blow your nose very gently.  Saline spray also helps to rinse out the mucous.
  3. Ice packs are to placed more over your eyes, not the cast on your nose.  This is most helpful in the first 48 hours in keeping bruising around the eyes to a minimum.
  4. Cast comes off after one week.
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mucus after rhinoplasty

+1

Some thick mucus and some minor bleeding is normal, if you are concerned or the bleeding seems to be increasing make sure you check with your surgeon