It's More Than Two Weeks After a Lower Lid Blepharoplasty and I Still Have 4 Blue Stitches, is This Normal?

PS said I need to wait for the body to expel them. I went the first time after a week and I thought he had removed them all. So I went again on day 11 after the surgery and he removed some others. He said he didn't want to hurt me and left those 4 there. I have an ugly fold because he performed a canthoplexy and one stitch was very tight. I've been massaging it but the stitch doesn't help. That same eye is hollow. My next appt is 25 days after the surgery. Should I see another PS for revision?

+2

No, these are prolene permanent sutures that would need to be removed by the plastic and cosmetic surgeon that did your Eyelid Surgery (Blepharoplasty).

Suture in eyelid following blepharoplasty

+2

Generally sutures are removed from a lower blepharoplasty in 3-5 days. For a canthoplasty the sutures can remain in for a longer period of time but these are usually absorbable and don't need to be removed. I would return to my PS and ask for removal of these sutures.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

These sutures need to be removed.

+2

I would call the office up and tell them you want the stitches removed.  Removing a suture really caused very little if any discomfort.  Leaving a suture in like this can cause a suture track or inclusion cyst.  If the surgeon will not do it, then I would recommend seeing someone else to have the suture removed.

Problems after a blepharoplasty

+2

Really do not have enough information to answer this question.  A photograph would be helpful.  At two weeks it is really too early to judge the result.  If the blue sutures were non-dissolvable sutures then they should be removed or you may develop suture track cysts.  

Sutures still in 2 weeks after lower blepharoplasty

+1

When lower blepharoplasty is done, sutures on the skin are normally removed within a week.  If there were other permanent sutures placed for some reason, these would need to be removed if just placed on the skin.  If some permanent sutures were used in the deeper tissues, then there may have been a reason to leave them in longer.  I would discuss the issue with your plastic surgeon to find out more information.  Is there a reason he wants the sutures to remain in?  If not, the sutures should be able to be removed.   

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Have your surgeon check these stitches.

+1

Blue sutures are usually permanent. If that's the case they should be removed. In any event any foreign body that aggravates swelling unnecessarily should be addressed. See your surgeon before your next scheduled appointment.

Sutures after Blepharoplasty

+1

Blue sutures are usually permanent and need to be removed. Most are removed in 5-7 days but in occasions some are left longer. I would recommend to return to see your surgeon before the 25 days and if you are unhappy with the response seek a second opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon. Is too early for any revision. You would wait at least 4-6 months to avoid further problems. Best to you. 

Humberto Palladino, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon