It's Better to Have Cellulaze First and Smartlipo Afterwards, on the Same Area, or Just the Opposite?

cellulaze, buttocks, thighs

Cellulaze or smart lipo first?

+2

This is a great question becuase many people have a combination area where they would benefit from both Cellulaze and Smart lipo. I have found, and the company recommends doing the smart lipo first and waiting until healed before doing the cellulaze. Usually three months. You may be surprised at the improvement with smart lipo alone, but usually this means there is less cellulite to treat not that it is completely gone.

Cellulaze Laser Cellulite Reduction and SmartLipo

+1

hello. Good question with no real correct answer. I have done Cellulaze and SmartLipo in the same areas at the same time with very good results. I have also done Smart Lipo first then followed months later with Cellulaze. If you were to stagger them I would do the lipo first as you may get some improvement in shape with this alone or it may reduce the areas in which you are concerned about having Cellulaze. Hope this helps! Good luck.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Cellulaze

+1

Cellulaze is the FDA approved one time definitive treatment for cellulite.  Cellulaze utilizes a 1440 nm wavelength laser to accomplish 3 things:  1) melt away fat bulging out 2) break up fibrous septae (attachments) that create the indentations and 3) help thicken the dermis (skin) to prevent future recurrence.   The procedure can take between 60-90 minutes and can be completed under local or just IV sedation (depending on the length of your procedure and number of areas being treated). To see your final results takes between 3-6 months. You can visit the cellulaze . com website to learn more about the procedure. Best of luck!

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Cellulaze best to follow liposuction, not vice versa

+1

Best to have liposuction (ultrasonic lipo, Smart Lipo, tumescent lipo, VASER, etc) first, then if Cellulite present consider Cellulaze treatment.

It would be better to have Smart Lipo first, and then get Cellulaze. The reasoning for this

is because although Smart Lipo has been widely touted to tighten the skin, many plastic

surgeons share my opinion that it is not much different than other forms of traditional

liposuction. Obesity, cellulite, stretch marks, a history back and forth weight loss, or loose,

sagging, inelastic skin, are problems which would tend toward poor results during a

liposuction. In fact, these problems may be worsened by this procedure and may be best

addressed by other surgeries such as a leg or body lift (e.g. tummy tuck) to improve your

appearance. This is where Cellulaze comes in. This procedure was recently approved by

the FDA last year. It is proven to show better results after one session. The outcome lasts

one year or longer, but you may need followup sessions depending on the results.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Timing of Cellulaze and SmartLipo

+1

In general, when treating the same area, it is best to perform SmartLipo first to treat the deeper area of fat excess with SmartLipo liposuction.  Several months later Cellulaze can be performed to treat the more surface cellulite.

Arnold S. Breitbart, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Timing of cellulaz and smartlipo in the same area

+1

In general it is best to treat the excess fat first with laser lipoplasty (smartlipo or slimlipo) then treat the cellulite with cellulaze several months later.  This has been the most predictable sequence in my practice.

John Q. Cook, MD

Timing of Cellulaze and SmartLipo

+1

Very good question that a lot of patients ask.  In general, performing SmartLipo Triplex first is the best option for most patients.  This will often lead to improvement in the appearance of cellulite and Cellulaze treatment may not be needed in that area.  I would recommend waiting at least 3 months to see the effects of the skin tightening done in the SmartLipo procedure.  There are some patients that benefit from Cellulaze first.  An in-person examination will allow for the best recommendations.  Good luck!

Naveen Setty, MD

Cellulaze and Smart Lipo at the same time

+1

This question is often asked and you will get different answers depending on the surgeon performing the procedure.  True SmartLipo with the Triplex system uses a different wavelength for skin tightening than Cellulaze.  It will bruise less than seen with Cellulaze.  It would be sort of redundant to have two different laser wavelengths treat the same area for skin tightening affects.  Some of the larger contour deformities seen in Type 3 moderate-severe cellulite are better treated with Smart Lipo.  Without actually seeing photos, it is difficult which area should be treated first.  I would recommend seeking an opinion from board certified plastic surgeon that is familiar with both treatments.

Robert Kratschmer, MD

Cellulaze and Smart Lipo

+1

There is no single answer that is right for everyone. The most appropriate answer would come only after an exam.  Before recommending a procedure or combination of procedures it's important to determine exactly what we are trying to treat.  If there is clearly fat to be treated and removed as well as cellulite, you may consider Smart Lipo first, wait to see how things look after 2-3 months and if cellulite is then the remaining issue, consider Cellulaze. 

For the answer that specifically addresses your needs and concerns, seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to determine what procedures would be best.

Good luck~

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

+1

GREAT question. As a Cellulaze provider in my opinion I would offer the SL first to see if you obtain any improvement from the Smart lipo. Than wait 3 months to have the Cellulaze. Best to you.