Its Been 2.5 Months Since my Rhino, How Much Can I Expect My Nose Tip Swelling To Go Down?

I wanted to make my nose smaller without breaking the bones . and the tip to be raised some what. cartilage grafts along with Alar cartilage secured. but the swelling in the tip is great. its like a big ball.reduction of swelling has taken place along the bridge, sides but the tip has no significant improvement. the overall shape looks smaller but because of the bulbous tip , it looks more bigger in pics.it will take a years time as per many drs here , but whats the percentage of tip reduction ?

Swelling, after Rhinoplasty, is highly variable in degree and location.  Discuss this with your Rhinoplasty Surgeon but residual swelling after Rhinoplasty can last 6 months or longer depending on what is done, to the nose, during the Rhinoplasty.  Most important, IMHO, is that the Rhinoplasty Surgeon understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal) beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive nose and face.

Nasal tip swelling reduction

Swelling in the nasal tip following rhinoplasty is typically the slowest area of the nose to resolve.  I tell my patients to expect 12 to 18 months from the time of surgery before seeing a final result.  Be patient and follow up with your surgeon to monitor your progress.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after rhinoplasty

Expect for the swelling to last up to one year although the majority of the initial swelling will be gone by 6 weeks after surgery.

Good luck

Rhinoplasty and swelling

Swelling from a rhinoplasty can take up to a year and sometimes longer to come down.  Be patient, but if concerned speak with your surgeon.

Nasal Swelling After Rhinoplasty

The nasal tip is the last place that swelling resolves on the nose. You have noticed a decrease in swelling on the upper nose, and typically, at 3 months the swelling is mostly in the the lower half of the nose. The tip can take a year, or 2 in rare cases, to completely resolve. The trend towards reduction is the important part, and as long as it is improving, it is worth allowing to heal. Intervention while the nose is still swollen is just likely to increase the swelling and prolong your recovery.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Rhinopalsty swelling at 2.5 months

2.5 months is still quite early

be patient

changes occur up to and even after one full year

good luck

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Post rhinoplasty tip swelling

Yes the swelling in the bridge goes down first and the tip is the final healing process. You should see your surgeon frequently in the recovery phase and see how your swelling dissipates and discuss the process as it takes place. The entire process can take up to a full year and the amount of swelling versus your skin thickness and procedure done can be more readily discussed with your surgeon. Best regards and time is on your side!

Michael Elam, MD

2.5 months post-op

Three months post surgery is still very early for you to judge the results of your surgery - be patient and follow up with your surgeon.

Sam Naficy, MD

Improvement in TIP Swelling after 2.5 Months.

You are correct recognizing that your nose will change for at least a year, but it is impossible to estimate the percentage of tip reduction. This depends on the thickness of your skin and what was done during your operation. Your surgeon is the best person to answer your question.

When to expect swelling to subside after rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question!

It is understandable that you are concerned. Changes after rhinoplasties vary with every patient and what you are experiencing is not uncommon.

It is important to keep in mind that it is early to pass a judgment. Usually, a year is required before formulating how your nose will be, but longer with a thick skin. Even then, your nose will keep shaping itself to complement your face for better results in the years to come.

My best recommendation at the moment is to be patient, allow nature to take its course and edema subsides for better results. There is no doubt that once the swelling resolves, more definition and shape will be achieved and you should be happier with the results.

Also, it is important that you keep communicating with your surgeon and work as a team together to achieve the best results possible.

Congratulations on your surgery and remain positive!

Ali Sajjadian, MD FACS

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS