It's Been 2yrs Since my Mohs Surgery and I Still Have Red Pustules on my Scar. What's The Cause? What Should I Do?

It has been 2 years since my MOHs surgery and I still have red pustules on my scar. It is located on the side of my nose near the corner of my eye. The red inflamation used to go along the entire scar (about an inch down the side of my nose) but now it is only where the origional basal cell carcinoma was located(small dot near the corner of my eye). What could this mean and what should I do?

Scarring since Mohs surgery

+1

Like the other physicians said, there are a number of possibilities for what's going on. You could have a hypertrophic form of the scar (which is uncommon but does happen) or some of the lower sutures which were originally intended to dissolve, just didn't, and they are poking around underneath and causing problems. I have seen this occur several times. Or you could have an infection or (slight chance) some type of recurrence. The best thing to do is return to the Mohs surgeon who did the procedure and see him/her for an evaluation.

Red Pustules on the Scar after Mohs Surgery

+1

It's hard to tell what could be causing your problem. There are a number of possibilities. It could be a recurrence from the prior skin cancer. It could be an infection at the surgery site. It could be something related to the location of the scar, such as rosacea or seborrhea. Best option is to return to the surgeon who performed the surgery. If that doctor is unable to tell what's going on, seek another opinion. It's possible that a bacterial or fungal culture or biopsy may need to be done. Good luck.

Andrew Kaufman, MD

Go see your Dermatologist or Mohs Surgeon

+1

You need to have the area reevaluated.  Recurrences with Mohs are very uncommon, but they can happen. Without seeing a picture it is difficult to speculate what is going on.

Brent Spencer, MD
Frisco Dermatologic Surgeon