I know it's not 100% but does EVLT really work for spider veins?

Red and blue spider veins. I have been told it's not 100% but if ultrasound shows mild venous insufficiency would it work to prevent future veins? I would rather not go through the procedure if it doesn't.

EVLT treats venous insufficiency, not necessarily spider veins or varicose veins - Buffalo NY

+1
EVLT is done for venous insufficiency at the saphenofemoral junction, saphenopoliteal junction, for segmental venous insufficiency below the knees and also venous insufficiency for perforator veins in the thighs, upper and lower legs. EVLT is FDA approved to treat venous insufficiency and by reducing venous reflux or pooling of blood in the lower extremities, it lowers venous hypertension, and therefore reduced the driving force for the development of varicose veins, reticular veins and spider veins. You should have SYMPTOMS in order to be treated for venous insufficiency - aching, pain, heaviness, tiredness and fatigue of the legs, itching, burning, cramping and throbbing of the legs, and ankle or leg swelling. Read the ebooks about the EVLT procedure provided on the link below: 

EVLT does not treat spider veins and you will need sclerotherapy and/or topical laser treatments for spider veins..

Buffalo General Surgeon

Some spider veins will always recur.

+1
EVLT is used to close the malfunctioning (refluxing) valves in usually the saphenous system of veins.  The reason to do this is because, if the blood is backing up through the valves, then the pressure will increase in the side branches leading to both spider and varicose veins.  Think of your veins like a tree with the saphenous system being the trunk and the spider and varicose veins being the branches.  Assume the branches have a problem (spider and varicose veins).  Pruning the branches will not help if the problem is in the trunk.  So, if the valves in the trunk don't work, the branches will not get better until the trunk is fixed.  With significant reflux, the recurrence rate of spider and varicose veins is high. If you have minimum reflux then you may be able to just treat the spiders. This will buy you time but, most likely, the spiders will recur over time.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon