It's Now 10 Days Post-op Lower Eyelid Surgery, Will Taping or Massage Even Matter? (photo)

I also posted a question on day 6 about my eyes. It is now day 10. Just wondering if it looks better to the trained eyes out there and will taping or massage even help. I also have a lump om each eye in the outer upper corners that I'm concerned about. I know the dr. did put stitches up there. I am 39 years old. I go back this Friday 29th. Should I be concerned about the ectropion/retraction. Last time I was there at my 1 week post op he said something about putting a stitch somewhere.

It is improbable that your surgeon is even going to agree that you have an issue.

+2

Remember this may be how all of your surgeon's lower eyelid surgeries look.  In that case, he or she is going to think you look great and everything is perfect.  I am not saying I agree with that.  Your lower eyelid position is compromised.  Just so we are clear, there is no way that 5FU, steroids or message is going to make this look like it did before surgery.  You are going to need to heal from this surgery.  Over time you may find that your objections to your current appearance diminish.  At some point you may decide that the result is OK.  

You result is not caused by some bad act by your surgery.  It is foreseeably caused by the nature of the surgery that was performed.  Any surgeon performing this surgery would have a similar outcome.  Transcutaneous lower blepharoplasty is associated with a contraction in the vertical length of the lower eyelid accounting for how you are looking.  It is not the result of some abnormal event during surgery.  Many surgeons avoid this approach due to this foreseeable outcome.  However, many surgeons persist with this method despite knowing that this is a consequence of this surgery.  

Recognizing this, what should you do.  Wait if you can.  Don't press your surgeon to fix the situation because the fix could actually make you much worse.  Consider getting additional opinions.  Hope this helps and yes you look better today than you did the last time you posted photos.  There are methods to correct a compromised lower eyelid position but it involves a significant reconstruction.  Ultimately you may or may not need this type of work.

10 Days Into Eyelid Surgery Recovery

+1

Dear Jill,

Thank you for posting your photographs.

Without the details of your surgery and a physical examination, the posted photos do not allow room for definitive diagnosis.

Nonetheless, at 10 days post op you eyelids remain pretty swollen and not until several months down the road that you could achieve full recovery.

I encourage you to consult with your surgeon who will assess you situation and could use corticosteroid injections to help with the swelling and the recovery, or instruct your to perform a specific massage to certain areas that require to be addressed.

Best of luck to you and thank you for the inquiry.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

It's Now 10 Days Post-op Lower Eyelid Surgery, Will Taping or Massage Even Matter?

+1

Though the post photos are under exposed with shadowing, the result looks great. Swelling is a very individual issue, average times for swelling to decrease is a week but in some cases it could take a month. So try to understand this or call your chosen surgeon to discuss. If you where my patient I would allow taping and massaging but you are NOT, so again ask your surgeon. 

Post blephroplasty

+1

Hi, its important to know why those swelling. Is it remanant of the stitches has to be removed, or its hypertrophic, if its why so localized.!

The examination can reach the diagnosis and then the proper treatment. If there is stitches it has to be removed, if hypertrophic sca, then massage with silicon gel, I wouldn't imject any thing at this crutial time of healing. In 6 weeks, interventioncan be done.

Fatema S. Alsubhi, MD
UAE Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery

+1

Most of the time it may take several months for the healing to complete and the downward pull will improve or resolve. Upward messaging will help. I would not jump into use of steroid or 5-FU at this time.  

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post-op

+1

I agree with Dr. Amadi from Seattle......the use of massage and injectable 5-FU and Kenalog may be quite helpful.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Possible injection

+1

One other treatment option, besides massage, that your surgeon might consider is an injection of steroids and/or 5FU, an anti fibrosis agent. Ask him/her about it, and if they are not familiar, they may know someone that is.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon