It's 5 1/2 Weeks Since Upper Blepharoplasty. One Eye is Beautiful but the Other Looks Really Awful. (photo)

There's a hard, red, swollen, raised bumpy section near my nose - close up you can see four little bumps on either side of the incision - and a hard red thin visible scar near the outer eye. The entire eyelid and the area above the eyelid is red and mottled. Is this just part of the normal healing process? Will the hard bumpiness go away? Why would one eye respond so differently from the other? I had more trouble with this eye from the beginning - more bleeding, more pain, more bruising.

It's 5 1/2 Weeks Since Upper Blepharoplasty. One Eye is Beautiful but the Other Looks Really Awful.

+1

I would prefer to see the two eyes and the intervening space to examine the medial aspect of the eyelid.  '

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Biologically active wound after blepharoplasty should be left alone.

+1

The wound in the picture is still actively healing. It is best to leave it alone. Most the time the results are very acceptable.

It's 5 1/2 Weeks Since Upper Blepharoplasty

+1

With asymmetry each side will heal at a different rate.  This is very common.  It is important to have patience as it is still too soon to see the full results of your surgery.  Be sure to follow your surgeons post op instructions accordingly and call or visit your surgeon’s office if you have any questions.

Frank Lista, MD

Healing after Upper Eyelid Lift

+1

Thank you for the photo. It's always important to remember that the body is asymmetric, and that this applies to healing as well. Sometimes one side will take longer than the other even when the same procedure is done.  After 3 months or so, if the incision still doesn't look good, you can consider treating with a laser or even a small scar revision.  If any pain or pus-like drainage develops from the red area, make sure to contact your surgeon immediately. Best of luck!

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

You can do the exact same thing on both sides and get two difference healing response

+1

You can do the exact same thing on both sides and get two difference healing responses.  It is very early and I do not see anything that would not improve over time.  

+1

Sometimes healing takes longer than expected. Allow 3 months of healing than re consider your options. 

Please send better pictures

+1

It is hard to evaluate the results based on the picture you submitted. Please send pre and post op pictures of  both eyes while open and closed.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid scar

+1

Each scar may heal a bit differently and at different rates. Hard to say, but it might be best to give it more time.  It is very early in the healing process.