What Items Do I Need for my Comfort, Recovery and Scars Post-op Tummy Tuck and Breast Implants?

I am scheduled for a tummy tuck in May 2012&a possible breast augmentation, I havent decided on the breast because of the difficult choice between saline and silicone.I am African American and I do Keloid. I am 5'2 127 pounds. I had a C-Section and my scar keloid'ed but it has flaten dramstically and doesnt bother me because my pubic hair grows over it but if I had that type of scar from a TT I would want it way more lighter or gone. The scars are my biggest concerns but what else will be needed

Scars from Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation

+3

As a general rule your abdominal and breast scars will probably end up about the same texture and color as your c-section scar and will take about the same time to get to the point your current scar is. Although we as surgeons are careful with skin and do what we can, healing in an individual (without complications like infection) is built into your genes and we have only a little control other than things like steroid injections and postop radiation.

Scar management ought to be Highly Individualized

+3

Hi there-

Because your skin is like no one else's, because your surgeon is the only one who will have a firm understanding of the details of his technique and the implications for your scarring, and because good scar management is dynamic and individualized, to say nothing of the fact that the quality of your scar is going to reflect on your surgeon and yourself ( and not on anyone on this site), it is very important that you ask your surgeon these questions.

It would be very unfortunate if you experienced a poor quality scar or an actual compromise in your safety because you asked questions such as these of anyone other that the person actually doing your surgery-

I assume you chose your surgeon with the utmost care and attention to all of the important details- trust him with important one.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Care after Mommy Makeover?

+3

Your plastic surgeon will be providing you with his/her preferred “protocol” for perioperative care.

You are about to undergo a major operation which often involves a significant physical and emotional recovery. A few words of advice may be helpful:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.