I Have Itchy Breast, Implants, What Can I Do?

Recovery from Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question. I have included some typical expectations of breast surgery recovery and signs to watch for following breast augmentation:

• Stiffness, swelling and bruising in the chest region: These are normal experiences as the skin, muscles and tissue heal. Pain medication and muscle relaxants will help you cope with any discomfort. Consistent sharp pain should be reported to your board-certified surgeon.
  • Hypersensitivity of nipples or lack of sensitivity: This is normal and will gradually resolve over time.
  • A mild to severe itchy feeling of the breasts is possible as healing progresses. An antihistamine like Benadryl can help to alleviate severe, constant itchiness. If the skin becomes red and hot to the touch, contact your board-certified surgeon immediately.
  • Asymmetry, the breasts look different, or heal differently: Breasts may look or feel quite different from one another in the days following surgery. This is normal. No two breasts in nature or following surgery are perfectly symmetrical.
  • Discuss returning to work with your board-certified surgeon, in our office it is typically 3-5 days post-surgery but you may not overexert yourself or do any heavy lifting.
  • You may resume exercise and your normal routine at six weeks unless your surgeon advises otherwise.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Post operative healing after breast augmentation , enlargement

i agree that we need more information.  early healing may have itiching that will respond to benedryl or clariton

Breast Augmentation - I Have Itchy Breast, Implants, What Can I Do?

How long has it been since your surgery?  If you are in your early recovery period (ie, the first few weeks after surgery) you need to contact your PS to make sure everything is okay.  If associated with swelling, pain, redness, fever, etc., these symptoms can be worrisome.  If isolated, though, or if it's been several months or longer since your surgery, then it's unlikely to be an urgent situation and you can contact your PS at your convenience.  In either case, there may not be a simple or adequate explanation, but you - above all else - want to make sure you're not missing a larger problem.  And that's the reason to contact your PS.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Itchy Breast Implants?

Hard to answer your question without more specifics such as how far out of surgery you are etc.  Are you on medications? Is there a rash? Other parts of the body involved?