Is It Common to Combine Breast Augmentation with Tummy Tuck Surgery?

I'm 45 yrs. old, and I'd like to have breast augmentation and a tummy tuck procedure done at the same time.  Are these surgeries a good cominbation to have done at the same time, or is it advised to have two separate surgeries?

Breast Augmentation and Tummy Tuck are often Combined for a Mommy Makeover

+5

Breast Augmentation and Breast Implants are often combined with Tummy Tuck or Abdominoplasty and done at the same operation. This is sometimes called the Mommy Makeover.

These two procedures can be done safely together. Your recovery may be a little longer that if each is done separately. However the benefit of having one surgery and one anesthesia outweighs the inconvenience of a few days of extra recovery.

Most patients in my experience are very satisfied with this combined procedure which restores the pre pregnancy body shape for many women.

Breast augmentation with a tummy tuck is a perfect combination!

+4

Many Moms seeking a "mommy makeover" choose to rejuvenate both their breasts and their abdominal regions at the same time.

As the breasts are often deflated after breastfeeding, an implant is placed to add back volume. Both saline and silicone implants are available; for thin women with little breast tissue, I usually recommend silicone for the most natural look and feel.

An abdominoplasty, or tummy tuck, is the perfect accompaniment for a mommy makeover!

During this procedure, excess skin and fat from the lower abdomen is removed, the rectus abdominis muscles of the abdominal wall are brought back together in the midline, and liposuction is also often added to create definition to the waist.

Be sure to visit a Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon with experience in the procedures you are seeking!

Good luck!

Karen M. Horton, MD

Breast Implants and Tummy Tuck together

+4
A tummy tuck almost always has a very powerful effect on an individual's self image and sense of well-being. This surgery will often put a patient back into clothes that they haven't been able to wear (or haven't been comfortable wearing) for years.
Many moms that I see for tummy tucks are very fit and in good physical condition, but despite efforts to 'slim down' through diet and exercise, the middle third of their body just doesn't match their more slender upper and lower thirds. Many of these patients would also like breast enhancement. In some cases this can make sense, but not for all scenarios. As with all aesthetic surgeries, I attempt to restore a sense of harmony and balance to a patients figure when I perform an abdominoplasty.
A tummy tuck is designed to accomplish two things:
1. Remove excess abdominal skin and fat
2. Tighten and flatten the abdominal wall muscles
The surgery is performed through a 'bikini-line incision' which, for a full tummy tuck, may extend from hipbone to hipbone. For patients that need only a 'mini-tummy tuck', the incision is usually somewhat smaller, extending just beyond the limits of the average C-section scar. The suprapubic incisions used for this operation are designed so that the resulting surgical scar is hidden by underwear or a bathing suit.
A full abdominoplasty requires the surgical creation of a new belly button. Creating the new belly button, which is called an umbilicoplasty, is a part of tummy tuck surgery that requires a great deal of attention and finesse on the part of the surgeon. My goal is to create a new belly button that, as much as possible, resembles a 'natural' belly button. Natural belly buttons do NOT look like a perfect circle, and circular umbilicoplasty scars are a tummy tuck dead giveaway.
The technique I use for umbilicoplasty is designed to create a slightly 'hooded' appearance to the upper half of the belly button, an appearance that is generally considered fit and athletic. Not all patients have the goal of wearing a two-piece swimsuit, but many do, and I want these patients to be able to do so without feeling self-conscious about the appearance of their new belly button.
The 'Internal Corset' - a procedure to narrow the waist
The permanent sutures that are used to flatten and tighten the abdominal wall are typically placed in the midline. The rectus abdominis muscles, prior to pregnancy, are lined up immediately side-by-side. Expansion of the abdominal wall during pregnancy allows the muscles to stretch apart, leaving a weak layer of fascia (connective tissue) spanning the gap between the two muscles - the medical term for which is diastasis. The midline tightening sutures correct the diastasis and bring the rectus muscles back into a 'side-by-side' configuration, flattening the abdominal wall in the process.
Although this midline tightening dramatically enhances the abdominal profile, it often does adequately address the fact that pregnancy can also wreak havoc on the waist, turning what was formerly an 'hourglass' figure into something that is more cylindrical in shape. For several years now I have been using permanent 'internal corset' sutures, placed laterally in the abdominal wall, that draw the waist inward and restore some of the hourglass effect of abdominal concavity at the waistline in frontal view. The addition of these sutures to midline tightening, and in some cases in place of midline tightening, has allowed me to achieve even more impressive postoperative results.
When I perform a full tummy tuck I do not combine it with othjer procedures. I want to focus on providing the safest possible poutcome and the most natural looking result. However, there are some ases when women have only a small amount of excess skin and therefore the procedure could be performed in a shorter period of time. I think any surgeon would need to see you before making a determination about having both surgeries together. I would strongly encourage you to ask for an overnight stay in a hospital, surgical center or after care facility with a medical care for the first full night for your safety, comfort and peace of mind.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

The combo procedure of breast and tummy (aka – mommy makeover) is very commonly done together and safe.

+3

1.       The benefits of combing the procedures include less total recovery time, less cost (Anesthesia, facility), less interrupting to your life, family and job.  Most important, it can reduce the risk of undergoing multiple separate procedures.

2.       I strongly advise you speak with your plastic surgeon about the length of a combined procedure.  Anesthesia is statically safer for combined procedure that are less than 6hrs.

3.       Combining the 2 procedures is a fantastic way to more quickly achieve the result you want before beach time.

4.       I find that husbands and families are more supportive of a single surgery rather than multiple separate operations.

5.       Don’t forget everything you have done for your family…….it’s time to get your body back and make you feel better.  This is not a selfish decision.

Have a great weekend!  Thank you!

Douglas S. Steinbrech, MD

Combining tummy tuck and breast augmentation

+2

The tummy tuck and breast augmentation can certainly be completed at the same time, provided you are a good candidate for surgery and anesthesia. I like to alter the breast and abdomen, as well as the lower body, at the same time since this allows —with proper planning—one operative procedure for a major body balance change. In this manner, the breast projection, buttock projection and flat tummy can all be achieved in harmonious proportion to each other, and you will get some powerful results.

For a procedure of this type (a.k.a "Mommy Makeover"), I like to work together with my patients to figure out what will work best for them. I typically do this with a combination of a physical examination and the use of pre-operative photographs so that we can determine some realistic results and expected improvements.

Deason Dunagan, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Combining Breast Augmentation and Tummy Tuck for Mommy Makeover

+2

The "Mommy Makeover" is a term used to describe procedures, or groups of procedures to address common effects of childbirth, (Breast sagging and loss of volume, extra skin on abdomen). For the breasts treatment can include augmentation and /or lift. For the abdomen treatment can include abdominoplasty, (tummy tuck) and/or liposuction. During the tummy tuck, a plication, (sewing together) of the muscles separated during pregnancy can be done.

Often times the breast and abdomen procedures can be done at the same time. However, this all depends on what physical shape you are in, how much work needs to be done, and what type of help you have at home for your recovery.

Always best to go to you Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and have him/her evaluate you.

These operations can be very powerful to restore your look and how you feel about yourself. Some of our most happy patients ate the "Mommy Makeover" patients who wish they had done this years earlier.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Mommy makeover with tummy tuck and breast augmentation

+2

The tummy tuck and breast augmentation can easily be done together and it makes sense to do so. A good surgeon can do a great job with both and still keep your anesthesia time to a minimum. Yes, your recovery will be more involved, but I would suggest that you find a surgeon that routinely uses pain pumps following breast augmentation surgery. This will make the recovery more tolerable.

Douglas J. Mackenzie, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Combining breast augmentation with tummy tuck surgery

+1
Breast and abdominal surgeries are frequently done at the same time.  It is usually safe to do both together, and is sometimes called a "mommy makeover".   I generally advise patients to stay over night if they have both procedures done together.  Combining the surgeries actually saves money(compared to two separate surgeries), results in only one recovery, and only one anesthetic.    

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Is it common to combine breast augmentation with tummy tuck surgery?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! These procedures can be effectively and safely performed in one setting. The breasts and tummy tuck are commonly performed together, often referred to as the "mommy makeover". If you are healthy and your surgeon decides that a/he could perform the procedures in a safe time for you, these procedures certainly can be done in one stage. Staging the procedures to have them performed at various times will likely not have any cost benefit for you. When you combine procedures, there is often a discount that is provided by the surgeon for multiple procedures. Also, when having multiple procedures performed at the same time, you save on anesthesia and facility fees, which otherwise are paid for with each individual procedure. In addition, you may benefit by the single recovery time.

It is your decision as to whether you have your procedures performed in one or multiple stages, but your surgeon will give his/her recommendations. I would consult with a plastic surgeon well-versed in these procedures and discuss your concerns with your surgeon and see what your options are as well as have an examination. Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Mommy makeover

+1
These surgeries are very commonly combined. It is both safe and efficient to have both procedures at once - one anesthetic, one recovery, and one fantastic result. We commonly refer to this combination as a "mommy makeover".

Grant Stevens, MD