How Can I Correct my Belly Button? (photo)

I have had two children, the last of them only six months ago. I know that I still have time for my body to change, but it doesn't seem like my skin on my belly button will go back to normal. It got so stretched out because I had a piercing with thin skin. I really want to correct this and all remove the piercing car below my navel as well. I do not want to get a tummy tuck. Any advice on what can help and how much it could cost? Thank you.

Reviews (3828) Photos (3804) Q&A (5509) Forum (1328) Guides Doctors How Can I Correct my Belly Button

+2

This can be improved with an umbilicoplasty. The relatively small amount of scarred and excess skin can be removed through an incision within the stalk of the navel, and be relatively camouflaged. 

I am not sure what I am looking at below the navel in this photo.

You don't need a tummy tuck.

This can be done under local anesthesia, without interfering with your work or child-rearing beyond a few hours for consultation and surgery. I would anticipate a few of $2000-2500.

When you are ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.

Belly-Button and plastic surgery - fixing old piercings in Toronto for 12 years

+2

Thank you for your question.  It is quite a simple procedure.  This is a type of umbilicoplasty and is a common request in downtown Toronto.  The belly-button procedure is done under local anesthesia.  A minor skin excision is done either in a crescentic or peri-umbilical fashion.  The resulting scar is within the umbilical stalk proper.  Excess skin and adjacent stretch marks can also be improved.  See a board-certified plastic surgeon.  Best of luck, Dr. Marc Dupere, Toronto plastic surgeon, 416.929.9800

Marc DuPéré, MD

Belly button makeover surgery

+1
A semi-concentric plasty of excess skin can help improve the excess skin on the upper pole of the belly button.  Our office specializes in belly button makeover surgery.

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Belly button

+1

The excess skin around the belly button can be removed, but it may not be worth the scar involved.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Umbilicoplasty to correct overhanging skin of the umbilicus

+1

Your umbilicus can be improved with a relatively minor umbilicoplasty.  I have performed this type of umbilical repair many times and it can be quite successful as long as you do not try to remove too much skin.  The goal is to create the incision within the umbilical stalk so that the scar is not noticeable.  

Umbilicoplasty

+1

You would do great with an umbilicoplasty. Make sure to find a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in these procedures. They are not commonly done so make sure to do your research!

Matthew Schulman, MD

Belly button without tummy tuck

+1

We often call this an umbilicoplasty, correction of the skin around the belly button. The causes can be many, hernia, tubal ligation, piercings, and the skin can be improved by revision of the exisisting scars and distortion. Make sure you understand what the surgeon proposes as the best 'fix'.

Correcting scarring at umbilicus

+1

The scarring can be revised, but surgery will leave a scar as well.  Chances are it will look better than what you are looking at now.  This could be done under local anesthesia, making your recovery easier (and the surgery cheaper). 

James E. Chappell, MD

Correction of Belly Button without Tummy Tuck

+1

The correction of the flap of skin caused by the piercing can be helped with an umbilicoplasty.  There is a limitation to the amount of skin that can be removed in this procedure.  For you, the cost may be $1000 to $2500 depending upon exactly what you want done and the time involved.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

to correct this matterthe scars should stay into the umbilicus/ para la correccion las cicatrices deberan quedar dentro del omb

+1

of course  can be corrected but  stayed the  scar into the umbilicus  correcting the upper and lower problem plus stretch marks at same time (lifting and erasing)

claro que puede corregirse al mismo tiempo las   cicatrices y estrias de la piel superior e inferior al ombligo pero deberan quedar las cicatrices  dentro del ombligo

Ramon Navarro, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon