How Can I Correct my Belly Button? (photo)

I have had two children, the last of them only six months ago. I know that I still have time for my body to change, but it doesn't seem like my skin on my belly button will go back to normal. It got so stretched out because I had a piercing with thin skin. I really want to correct this and all remove the piercing car below my navel as well. I do not want to get a tummy tuck. Any advice on what can help and how much it could cost? Thank you.

Reviews (3828) Photos (3804) Q&A (5509) Forum (1328) Guides Doctors How Can I Correct my Belly Button

This can be improved with an umbilicoplasty. The relatively small amount of scarred and excess skin can be removed through an incision within the stalk of the navel, and be relatively camouflaged. 

I am not sure what I am looking at below the navel in this photo.

You don't need a tummy tuck.

This can be done under local anesthesia, without interfering with your work or child-rearing beyond a few hours for consultation and surgery. I would anticipate a few of $2000-2500.

When you are ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.

1110 112th Avenue NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

Belly button

The excess skin around the belly button can be removed, but it may not be worth the scar involved.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

9339 Genesse Avenue
San Diego, CA 92121-2119

Belly-Button and plastic surgery - fixing old piercings in Toronto for 12 years

Thank you for your question.  It is quite a simple procedure.  This is a type of umbilicoplasty and is a common request in downtown Toronto.  The belly-button procedure is done under local anesthesia.  A minor skin excision is done either in a crescentic or peri-umbilical fashion.  The resulting scar is within the umbilical stalk proper.  Excess skin and adjacent stretch marks can also be improved.  See a board-certified plastic surgeon.  Best of luck, Dr. Marc Dupere, Toronto plastic surgeon, 416.929.9800

Marc DuPere, MD

209-179 John Street
Toronto, ON M5T 1X4

Umbilicoplasty to correct overhanging skin of the umbilicus

Your umbilicus can be improved with a relatively minor umbilicoplasty.  I have performed this type of umbilical repair many times and it can be quite successful as long as you do not try to remove too much skin.  The goal is to create the incision within the umbilical stalk so that the scar is not noticeable.  

3096 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
Duluth, GA 30097

You would do great with an umbilicoplasty. Make sure to find a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in these procedures. They are not commonly done so make sure to do your research!

Matthew Schulman, MD

950 Park Avenue
New York City, NY 10028

Belly button without tummy tuck

We often call this an umbilicoplasty, correction of the skin around the belly button. The causes can be many, hernia, tubal ligation, piercings, and the skin can be improved by revision of the exisisting scars and distortion. Make sure you understand what the surgeon proposes as the best 'fix'.

8901 West Golf Road
Des Plaines, IL 60016

Correcting scarring at umbilicus

The scarring can be revised, but surgery will leave a scar as well.  Chances are it will look better than what you are looking at now.  This could be done under local anesthesia, making your recovery easier (and the surgery cheaper). 

James E. Chappell, MD

790 Ritchie Hwy
Severna Park, MD 21146

Correction of Belly Button without Tummy Tuck

The correction of the flap of skin caused by the piercing can be helped with an umbilicoplasty.  There is a limitation to the amount of skin that can be removed in this procedure.  For you, the cost may be $1000 to $2500 depending upon exactly what you want done and the time involved.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

435 North Roxbury Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

to correct this matterthe scars should stay into the umbilicus/ para la correccion las cicatrices deberan quedar dentro del omb

of course  can be corrected but  stayed the  scar into the umbilicus  correcting the upper and lower problem plus stretch marks at same time (lifting and erasing)

claro que puede corregirse al mismo tiempo las   cicatrices y estrias de la piel superior e inferior al ombligo pero deberan quedar las cicatrices  dentro del ombligo

Ramon Navarro, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Calle 54 No. 365 T