Isotretinoin Dosage Change

I took isotretinoin for 3 months, 2 pills a day, each 20mg and the results are very good i dont have acne, so i wonder for how long should i continue and should i change the dosage, i only have dry skin and cracked lips.

Accutane dosage depends on weight

Your treating dermatologist can discuss your dosage. Some like lower doses for longer treatment courses; others prefer higher doses for a shorter time. The dosage is based on your weight, but the lowest dose that gives you good results is optimal.

New Orleans Dermatologist

145 Robert E. Lee Blvd
New Orleans, LA 70124

Changing the dose of Accutane

The course of Accutane, presuming you are taking it for moderate to severe acne or acne with scarring, is from 4 to 6 months, with an average dose of 1 mg/kg/day.  Three months and/or 40 mg per day may look great now, but may have higher chances of a relapse after you finish the course of treatment.  I would discuss the treatment strategy with your doctor.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

1 Diamond Hill Road
Berkeley Heights, NJ 07922