Isolated Hanging Columella Surgery Implications? (photo)

I have a hanging columella & the inside of my nostrils show a lot (particularly right profile). I’ve never had a rhinoplasty & I’d like to correct this particular area of my nose only. Is this a complicated/heavy operation? Would it affect my face’s frontal appearance? Does this type of intervention cause a lot of bruising & swelling? How long does it take for the swelling to subdue? After how much time would my nose's appearance be decent enough to go to work and have a social life? Thanks!

Correction of Hanging Columella

+2

The columella should be elevated and the nostril rims lowered with cartilage grafts taken from the septum so the rims are not so convex. This will change the appearance of your tip in the frontal view. You will have some swelling with typically minimal bruising so you can resume your professional and social life in 10-12 days.

Hanging columella addressed with columelloplasty

+1

The hanging columella is a relatively straightforward procedure to fix and is called a columelloplasty.  This can be performed under local or general anesthesia, however, most patients prefer general since there are so many nerve endings in the tip of the nose.  The columelloplasty procedure involves removing a portion of cartilage and skin on both sides of the columella and tucking it up and inward to get the ala and columella in proportion.  From the frontal view the nose is shortened but the tip is not over rotated.  There is very minimal swelling associated with the procedure and most patients are back to work in less than a week after it is performed.