Should the Scabbing be Hard or Soft 1 Month Post-Op TT? (photo)

I have 3 spot's scabbing should I keep them covered with triple and bandages or let them dry and stay hard . My PS said every thing looks good and I'm healing good with NO infection . Always good to get more than one op.oh yeah I'm 3 week's 4 day's post op.

Scabbing 3 weeks after tummy tuck--what to do.

+2

As my colleagues have said, asking your surgeon for specific advice is always going to be better than obtaining different opinions on-line. Also, should your healing have a turn for the worse, your surgeon will understandably be upset that his or her instructions were NOT followed, and now you want him or her to "fix" the problem!

That being said, your healing does appear to be coming along as it should, albeit slightly delayed from what appears to have been stitch abscesses.

A few general comments. First of all, many plastic surgeons do not recommend triple antibiotic ointment (Neosporin or Mycitracin) because the third antibiotic (Neomycin) can cause an allergic reaction with repeated use on open wounds in as many as 10 % of patients. The reaction to this particular component of triple antibiotic ointment is redness,  inflammation, and tiny red dots in the skin around the wound. It actually looks like a possible infection, so of course the patient globs on even more ointment and the reaction gets worse. I have even had patients see their family doctor who agreed this reaction appearance was infection and start oral antibiotics ("confirming" to the unwitting patient that infection is going on!). What needs to happen is the triple antibiotic ointment needs to be stopped and everything gets better in a few days.

So , if you were my patient, I'd advise stopping the ointment and just let things heal. Once all scabbing was gone, I would have you start vitamin E oil massage of the scar and use a scar pad, all while avoiding ultraviolet exposure as long as the scar is pink. But that's just me.

Please ask your surgeon, and follow the advice given! Best wishes!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Scabs post tummy

+1

This is not uncommon.You are probably spitting out soem of the sutures your doctor placed to close the incision.just keep it clean and cover it so youer clothes do not irritate it but this will resolve with time.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Wound care for tummy tuck incision.

+1

A moist wound care dressing will allow for a faster resolution of a wound than letting it "open to air." The scab is simply a mix of protein that acts like a bandage while the wound repairs underneath. Either way can result in a healed wound, although the moist wound environment is quicker. This process can take several weeks to complete.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Scabs after Tummy Tuck

+1

Based on your pictures, it looks like your surgeon is offering the right recommendations for your abdomen.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck and Incision Line Healing?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

You will find that every plastic surgeon has a different “protocol” for managing incision lines  after surgery. It would be much better for you to stick with your plastic surgeon's  recommendations as opposed to being confused by a multitude of recommendations from  online consultants.

Your plastic surgeon is in a much better position to guide you and is ultimately responsible for doing so.