What's the Best Age Spot Treatment for Sun Damaged Hands?

I'm one of those who religiously protected my face from the sun but forgot about my hands. Now I have really visible sun spots. what age spots treatments are available for hands?

Sun Spot Treatment For The Hands

+4

Over time, our skin suffers damage from exposure to sun. We have done a fairly good job in encouraging people to apply sunscreens and avoid sun exposure to the face, but we have not done well in encouraging the same for the hands.

I have found that IPL laser treatments work extremely well in elimininating sun spots on the hands and face. There is no down time or pain with the IPL laser, and the procedures are affordable for most.

Beyond that, there are a variety of bleaching creams that can be effective and of course, an ounce of prevention (sunscreen) is worth a pound of cure!

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

The IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) lasers work very well for...

+3

The IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) lasers work very well for sun spots on the hands. They are simple and safe and cost effective. Plus there is virtually no down time, recovery or risk when done in the medical office by qualified people.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

My Hands Are Giving My Age Away

+3

Now we know why gloves were so popular in the F. Scott Fitzgerald's Great Gatsby era.

There are many treatments for age spots on the hands if gloves won't do.

• IPL laser treatments are effective.
  • I have found that Fraxel re:store laser works very well.

During and after your treatment it is most important to avoid sun exposure and wear abundant sun block.

Michael A. Persky, MD

Age Spots for Hands

+2

There are several excellent alternatives to treat age spots for hands.

The consistently best treatment is the laser expert. It is best to visit an experienced physician who has the abiity to use multiple modalities.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Best Treatment for Age Spots/Sun spots on your hands

+1

I have found that the new Fraxel Dual laser is by far the best treatment for sun damaged hands.  The Fraxel works especially well when there is extensive sun damage and different degrees of age spots.  It is a very elegant procedure without a great deal of down time.  After treatment it is always important to put sun screen on your hands to prevent the brown spots from recurring after treatment.  Remember to find an experienced board certified dermatologist for your treatments who has a lot of experience with lasers.

Michele S. Green, MD

RE: Best Age Spot Treatment For Sun Damaged Hands

+1

Fraxel lasers can be used to rejuvenate the appearance of the hands. In fact, Courtney Cox recently revealed that this is what she does.

Fraxel helps stimulate the formation of new collagen so that your skin has more firmness.

These lasers can also break up the melanin structures which are causing unwanted pigmentation. The body will then carry away the end products from the surface, resulting in a more uniform complexion. 

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Ageing hand rejuvenation

+1

You're not alone but I can reassure you that there are ways you can rejuvenate your hands.

There are many ways you can treat age spots and pigmentation changes on the hands, including chemical peels, laser, IPL and other treatments that are directed at improving the quality and appearance of the skin on your hands.

To make the most of these treatments it's also important to protect your hands from the sun in the future. Daily sunscreen use is important, be sure to keep some in your handbag so you can re-apply after you wash your hands. Frequent use of hand cream to keep your skin hydrated is helpful, and wearing gloves is also an effective method (and one which Madonna commonly uses). Admittedly wearing gloves does stop you from putting your beautifully manicured and moisturised hands on display!

Often ageing hands look old because of volume loss, which makes the veins and tendons on the back of your hand look more prominent. It also deepens the hollows between the bones. Volume can be replaced with fillers or with fat injections. Fillers give very quick results as an office procedure and there is minimal down time. Fat injections require that fat be taken via liposuction from another area of your body, before it is injected into the back of your hands. Speak with a specialist in hand rejuvenation if you are interested in volume replacement. As you will see from some of the videos available on YouTube it can make a very impressive improvement to the appearance of ageing hands.

Jill Tomlinson, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Treating Aging Hands

+1

Treating aging hands is usually a 3 step process- in my practice this procedure is known as a HandLift. (1) If you have age spots and discoloration, treating with an IPL is a quick, easy way to erase the spots.  (2) If you have loss of volume and thin skin, injectable fillers plump the hands and give a more youthful look. (3) To keep the skin on the hands looking younger it is important to take care of them as part of your daily skin care routine- use a UVB/UVA sunscreen DAILY and avoid direct sun exposure as much as possible.   Best of luck, Dr. Clevens

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon