Lip Augmentation Gone Bad

I had silicone gel injected in my upper lip in 2004. now my lip is droopy and completely covers the lower lip, needless to say it looks awful.I was told by a p.surgeon in lebanon that there is a substance which can be injected and the silicone dissolves over some time.is this true?and is there a way to fix my lip???I am feeling so hopeless as i cant find any succsess stories on the net and since i am in dubai, we dont have a plethora of plastic surgeons here at my disposal.im looking for a doctor with extensive experiance on bad lip augmentations. PLEASE HELP.and please dont ask for a jpeg of my lips-i think the severity of my case is evident.

Liquid silicone is a bad injectable - don't use it please!

+4

Liquid silicone is a bad substance to inject into the lips or face. It is permanent and so are the problems it can cause. Even though they need to be repeated, the temporary fillers such as Restylane are the safe way to go.

You won't find anyone with "extensive" experience with this problem. In my encounters with it, I needed to do direct excision of the excess lip and its contained silicone. This does not remove all of the material as that is impossible. Just the area of excess is addressed and more surgery might be needed later. Scars and possible permanent numbness are part of this process.

Slow modest corrections are preferable to a dramatic attempt at correction

+4

Silicone injections in the lips can be disastrous and frequently disfiguring. Removal of some of this substanc is possible . Total removal will not be possible.. Reconstruction with fat transfer and some shape modification may also be helpful. Get several opinions and go slow. Several smaller corrections may be the way to go. All the best.

Talmage J. Raine, MD

You can't dissolve the silicone.

+3

There is nothing that can be injected into your lip that will dissolve the silicone, regardless of what your surgeon in Lebanon claimed.

Silicone resins, in general, are very difficult to decompose and usually require strong acids and/or non-ionizing polar organic solvents such as dichloromethane. All of these are also very, very toxic and will destroy and poison living tissue, too.

The only way to remove it is to physically remove it: i.e., excision of the tissue into which it's been embedded.

Best of luck.

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Need surgery

+1

Silicone injections in various parts of the body has been done quite frequently all over the country.  The difficulty with silicone injections begins with the quality of the silicone itself.  I have seen many cases where industrial grade silicone has been injected inside the human body.  This can be a tremendous disaster.  Problems can include infections, granulomas, cellulitis, and persistent skin infections, disfigurement and skin dimpling.  It is very easy to have silicone injected, but very difficult to have it removed.  The removal can frequently be very complex and involved lengthy surgery. Multiple operation is not uncommon.   It is not uncommon to expect scars in locations that would otherwise be undesirable.  If you do have silicone, or are having problem with silicone that was injected by a non-healthcare provider then you should certainly seek medical attention.  Some solutions include IV antibiotics, oral antibiotics and surgery after the inflammation has subsided.  Removing the silicone is not just a cosmetic issue but also an issue of better health.  Depending on the type of silicone injected concerns with autoimmune diseases and infections are foremost.  Taking medications such as ibuprofen or cortisone is only a temporary measure.  The real solution is surgery.  Not all plastic surgeons are willing to operate on patients who have had silicone injected in their body.  Many of these cases are not covered by insurance because they were performed for cosmetic reasons.  My recommendation to anyone that has had silicone injections and wishes to have it removed, is to seek a board certified plastic surgeon who is likely willing to do more than 1 operation as well as willing to do some of these operations in a hospital setting. I have had patients visit me for removal of silicone and the discussion to proceed is never an easy one.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Correcting Lip Augmentation

+1

Silicone injections into the lips can cause volume deformity as well as granulomatous inflammatory reactions. Both conditions can be treated with a variety of micro-techniques that remove excess silicone deposits and reduce the inflammatory effects of the silicone injection itself or the contaminants contained in the injection.

Silicone injections can be removed on the lips. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Surgical removal and reconstruction

+1

Direct Silicone injection into the tissues causes a severe inflammation and scar formation. Surgical removal of the silicone might be the ideal way to remove the silicone followed by augmentation with fat or a different fillers. A picture would be very helpfull. There is one or two excellent plastic surgeon who could help you in Dubai.Hope that helps!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Bad lip augmentation results

+1

Unfortunately, that is the problem with silicone injections. If they are overdone, it is almost impossible to remove without cutting out sections of the lip. I know of no substance that will dissolve it.