Is the Dermaroller Effective on Acne Scarring?

Do any doctors here use the dermaroller for acne scar therapy? It seems to be an interesting treatment and is also said to improve the penetrtation of topicals very dramaticaly ( retin a etc). Is this true?

Thanks to all the MDs here that are willing to lend a voice. I have done a Fraxel Repair and a micropeel and am starting v star treatments. I have actualy brought most of my deep scars to the very surface and now its just a question of superficioul texture and redness.

On other alternative therapies does anyone know the next line of lasers or possibley stem cell based therapies for acne scarring? Is it on the horizon..or still some way to go?

thanks again:) i hope eventualy acne scars can become a thing of a past.

Dermaroller is effective for acne scars.

+2

Dermaroller is quite effective for acne scars, and works very well in darker skin types. The results take some time to show, and a second set of sessions may be considered after 4-6 months. Using a repair cream like Cicalfate/ Epitheliale AH helps quicken the healing process.

India Dermatologist

Yes, but there are more effective treatments...

+1
To answer the main question - YES. Dermaroller or needling has been shown to be effective in the treatment of atrophic, box car, tethered, and depressed scars. Not so good for ice pick scars- TCA CROSS does well for this type of scarring. 

Dermarolling, Dermapen, Skin Needling, all work on the same principle of breaking down collagen and aid in remodellling. Laser treatment has its advantages- namely HEAT ie. Denaturing collagen as well as breaking down collagen. Fractional RF and CO2 laser hence are better treatments. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Fraxel For Acne Scars

+1
Thank you for your question. At my practice, I have gotten excellent results for scarring with Fraxel. This treatment eliminates irregular skin discoloration, and stimulates new collagen production, tightening the skin without prolonged recovery. After a series of 2 to 4 Fraxel treatments, the cumulative cosmetic improvement is near more aggressive lasers, but unlike more aggressive lasers, redness and swelling eliminated within 2 to 4 days after each treatment. Fraxel is outstanding for fine wrinkles, mild skin laxity, irregular pigmentation, acne scars, surgical scars, enlarged pores, stretch marks, age spots and Rosacea. It can be used safely on the face, neck, hands, arms, and chest.

Daniel Shapiro, MD

CO2 laser is best for acne scars

+1

Best treatment for acne scars is the CO2 laser. Co2 laser will be more effective to compare the dermaroller.

Jhonny Salomon, MD

Dermaroller is effective

+1

It is a good tool for helping with the acne scarring. However, the best way to improve acne scarring is a multi prong approach. Dermabrasion, chemical peels, fillers, high quality skin care, laser resurfacing and even microdermabrasion. The next generation of live fibroblast fillers will help in terms of a safe profile but don't think it will completely eliminate acne scars.

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon