Is SmartLipo Suitable for Women Who Have Not Yet Had Children but Plan To?

Hi there, I am 27 and have not yet had children. I wanted to know if the procedure was suitable for me if a plan to have children in the future. Also, I have read that one does not pick up weight in the area that was treated even after some time... does this mean that I will gain weight in other areas - ie will the weight gain be disproportionate to the rest of my body as per traditional liposuction?

It is okay to have lipo before you have children.

+2

Whether or not you have had children do not affect whether you can have Smartlipo or traditional liposuction. As long as you are not pregnant at the time, you should be fine.

As for future weight gain after liposuction... Liposuction does not prevent you from gaining weight. Liposuction removes fat cells that are already present. So, if you gain weight, a small proportion of that weight will go to the area that was suctioned. For example if 20% of your weight gain used to go to your abdominal region, but then you had 50% of the fat removed from your abdominal region, then if you gain weight, only 10% of your weight gain will go to your abdominal region. Basically, you can still gain weight, but to a small proportion.

I hope this is helpful.

David Shafer, MD
New York City

Web reference: http://www.RealPlasticSurgery.com

SmartLipo Suitable for Women Who Have Not Yet Had Children but Plan To

+1

Both traditional liposuction and smartlipo are suitable for patients prior to having children. However, pregnancy may necessitate future suture. Patients can gain weight in areas that are suctioned so patients should try to limit massive weight gain.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.