Is Sculptra Recommended for Hollow Eyes?

I am interested in sculpra to fill in the hollowness of the eyes do you recommend this?
Are there creams that can work for hollowness and tightness of the eyes and which ones? I am thinking CellexC or perricone or sculptra. My Dr recommends scuptra.

Sculptra

+4

I do not recommend Sculptra for underneath the eyes.  There are other alternatives such as Juvederm and Restylane that can be used in the area. 

Sculptra is a great product - used correctly

+4

Under the eyes is not recommended for sculptra use. It works especially well deep to the muscles in other parts of  the face. The skin under the eyes is very thin.

Restylane is a soft filler that is often used with good results there.

Christopher J. Peers, MD
South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra is usually used for areas of atrophy or...

+4

Sculptra is usually used for areas of atrophy or thinness, usually in the cheeks. It is not recommended to be placed in the hollow regions around the eyes. This may lead to bumps and palpability of the product.

Sculptra for under the eyes

+3

This is a very tricky area for Sculptra because of the risk of nodules that can form under the eyes.  There are safer alternatives such as fillers, fat grafting and surgery.  Sculptra can help by volumizing the cheeks which will have a good secondary effect on hollowed eyelids.  However, to directly address the hollows, I would use one of the other options I mentioned above.

Pradeep K. Sinha, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

DEFINITELY NOT

+3

I think sculptra around the eyes is a little risky. I have multiple patients who I have had to remove granulomas around the eyes after sculptra from other doctors. I would avoid it to be honest. A reversible filler such as Juvederm or Restylane would be a better option.

Chris Thiagarajah, MD
Washington DC Oculoplastic Surgeon

'Evolence' may be a newer solution for infraorbital hollowing

+3

Avoid sculptra (Poly-L-Lactic Acid) toward correction of infraorbital hollowing or volume correction. The product was originally intended for significant fat loss in the nasolabial fold region in patients who were immunocompromised. Extended applications have included malar or cheek augmentation. However, it's unpredictability, possibility of granuloma formation, and multiple injection requirements should preclude it's use in areas of excessively thin tissues, such as beneath the eye. The product can last as long as one to several years.

Orthoneutrogena, the aesthetic divison of Johnson and Johnson, is about to release a collagen based product called 'Evolence.' It recently (June 2008) received it's FDA approval for moderate wrinkles in the nasolabial folds. However, my experience thus far dictates that it will certainly give the other alternative hyaluronic acid products (Juvederm, Restylane) some good competition. Evolence doesn't require collagen skin testing, it's touted as lasting six to twelve months, it's results are soft and natural, and is associated with less bruising and swelling. Off-label FDA use demonstrates because of it's soft characteristics, that it might be a very good solution from volume depleted lower eyes or tear trough deformities. It is one of the few products that I've used that is easily malleable or can be molded into it's final desired form. The general public release date is for late August. Discuss with your physician the FDA guidelines, their level of comfort, and recommended treatments.

Jeffrey D. Hoefflin, MD

Getting rid of those hollow eyes

+3

As we age, we lose volume in certain parts of our face while we gain volume in other parts. Generally speaking, the region around our eyes and cheeks begins to lose fat, while the jowls and neck begins to gain fat.

When we lose the fat layer along the lower eyelid region and upper cheek, the eyes begin to look hollow. This gives the impression that we're fatigued and older. In my practice, this is an important and highly emphasized sign of aging that we treat on a regular basis. My first choice for treating the hollows is Restylane for mild changes in a younger patient. In patients with more advanced volume loss that extends into the upper cheek region, fat transfer is an excellent long term solution.

I really like Sculptra in general and use it frequently to treat volume loss throughout the face. The one area that needs the most experience and technical precision is under the eyes. Treating this region can result in difficult-to-treat nodules and contour problems. However, if the individual treating you has had experience and success with this area and is aware of the different dilutions and technical issues involved, then Sculptra may be used.

Amir M. Karam, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra Around the Eyes

+2

Sculptra is a great product to replace lost volume in areas such as the cheeks, temporal region, nasolabial crease and along the jaw line.  I would use caution in using any filler in the eyelids as the skin in this area is very thin and there is a great risk of having visible lumps or contour deformities.  

David Shafer, MD

Sculptra must be used with care for under eye areas

+2

'Hollow eyes' may an eventual transition that all of us may experience as the collagen within the orbital rim, i.e. eye sockets may slowly deplete with sun exposure and aging process. While hyaluronic acid fillers such as Restylane or Juvederm are most popular and advised for the so-called tear trough areas, Sculptra can be used by advanced physician injectors who can inject up to but not beyond orbital rim and massage with vigor and precision to fill in tear trough areas.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Best way to correct hollows under eyes.

+2

I assume you are talking about hollowness under the eyes as opposed to above. If you have hollowness, you need a filler to fill this in. Skin treatments alone will not suffice. Sculptra is good for this and I also like Prevelle a lot for under the eye.

The skin creams are good to improve the quality of the lower eyelid skin and this will help but is not enough by itself because it will not restore the volume. For lower eyelid skin, I like to use a retinol like Biomedic Retinol (start with 15 and work up) or Rretin-A if you can tolerate it. These vitamin A derivates are good for the skin because they increase the amount of collagen in the skin (and skin is about 80% collagen, so if your collagen levels go down, your skin really shows it). Use this at night., every other night, everywhere except upper eyelid skin.

During the day, use a moisturizer for lower eyelid skin if you need one. There are many good ones. Try Eye Believe by Cosmedix or The Eyes Have It by Prescribed Solutions. Vitamin C is a good anti-oxidant and is good for your skin overall but not expecially targeted for lower eyelid skin.

For the rest of your face in am use, your anti-oxidant, with a good SPF and moisturizer if needed. CellexC and Perricone are both good product lines. If your skin is oily, use Vitamin C in a serum form and if skin is dry, look for a cream formulation. Good luck.

Tracy Pfeifer, MD