Is Pulsed Electromagnetic Field Therapy (RecoveryRx) for Rhinoplasty Recovery Worth It?

I'm wondering if you have had any experience with ActiPatch or RecoveryRx (made by BioElectronics) for faster recovery from plastic surgery procedures like rhinoplasty or breast augmentation.

The company's site states:

"RecoveryRx is 'wearable' technology that treats the sources of discomfort allowing patients to quickly return to their active lifestyle. The RecoveryRx device is flexible, comfortable, easy to apply and use. Once activated, RecoveryRx begins pulsing a continuous low level current to energize damaged cells in the surgical region, helping remove the effects of trauma so patients can feel better and look better faster that they would have ever thought possible."

Pulsed Magnetic Field Conditioning

+1

This is certainly something that needs lots of research. When claims are made that a therapy helps in varied conditions from hemorrhoids to orthopedic injuries to rhinoplasty, beware of these claims. Find someone who has good technical skill to do your rhinoplasty.

Buffalo General Surgeon

Electro-magnetic Field Therapy (Revoery Rx) After Rhinoplasty and Breast Augmentation

+1

Dr. S,

I have no experience with ActiPatch or Recovery Rx manufactured by BioElectronics.

I do have 25 years experience with rhinoplasty. The nasal splint stays on for 5 days. Once the splint is off, patients bruising and swelling is nearly gone, certainly they are presentable by one week. My patients feel very good following rhinoplasty; the great majority takes only plain Tylenol for mild sinus pressure.

I use no nasal packing after surgery which I believe helps decrease swelling and bruising from rhinoplasty, and it most definitely keeps patients much more comfortable in the immediate post operative recovery time period.

Maybe the technology is "breast" applied to breast augmentation surgeries. Let us know what your experience is with Recovery Rx. Be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Probably Not Worth it

+1

I am not aware of any scientific studies (double blind control studies) validating the use of  Pulsed Electromagnetic Field Therapy (RecoveryRx) for speeding healing after Rhinoplasty.

On the other hand I don't think it would be of harm. I personally would not use it but rather concentrate on proven things to minimize swelling early on: like head elevation, ice, limiting salt intake, taping at night, etc. 

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Improved healing

+1

There is no scientific data that supports significant improvement in healing for the procedures you've mentioned with this technology that I'm aware of.

Steven H. Williams, MD

Not likely

+1

While Pulsed magnetic energy may have some role in the future of medicine to promote healing, I think the technology is not there yet.

I would skip this

+1

I would certainly skip this "technology" as it is just another company's effort to take your money with promises of improved recovery etc. A well performed rhinoplasty by an excellent surgeon should lead to a rapid recovery of less then 2 weeks without such extraneous devices.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS