Is the Price of Nose Plastic Surgery Negotiable?

Price is AND always was negotiable

+2

Here in the N.Y. Metro area, a discerning and "patient" patient could always negotiate a better fee by vetting surgeons of equal quality, experience ,academic affiliation and reputation. By visiting surgeons in and around the city there is a significant variation in price structure due to overheads and other factors already mentioned by others. many times you can buy the same Exact garment in Store X at half the price than you can in Store Y. Good luck shopping.

Bronx Plastic Surgeon

Don't be afraid to discuss price of rhinoplasty with your doctor.

+2

Clyde,

It is important that you express all of your concerns to your surgeon when considering plastic surgery of any kind, not just rhinoplasty.

Open communication is essential if you are going to be comfortable and have a trusting relationaship with your doctor, which is of course essential when considering any surgical procedure.

You will also get feedback on the doctors attitude when you ask the question, which will help you decide if the doctor is the right one for you.

I do not negotiate my prices for rhinoplasty or any plastic surgery, unless there are multiple procedures or extenuating circumstances. I have 30 years of experience and do good work, stand behind my results, and think that my prices reflect the value of my skills and experience. I am not offended when someone asks if prices are negotialble, that is appropriate when making any major purchase.

You may find that younger less experienced or less busy surgeons will negotiate price, but as a patient I would view that with some caution.

Generally you get what you pay for-hopefully.

But, it is important that you get all of your questions out in an open discussion with the doctor, your peace of mind is most important.

I always recommend consulting at least two doctors before making a choice of a surgeon for rhinoplasty or any plastic surgery. That will also give you the opportunity to compare prices.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Depends on surgeon

+1
Pricing varies depending on the surgeon and the city in which they're located. It's best to check out websites of surgeons as a price list may be on their site. The price may be negotiated but that really depends on the surgeon.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Plastic Surgery and Negotiations

+1

Every surgeon's fee is potentially negotiable.  However, price should not be the factor in choosing a surgeon.  Choose a surgeon based on their qualifications, expertise, and likelihood of delivering the best looking, natural results irrespective of cost.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Be very careful

+1

The price of a rhinoplasty is usually not negotiable. Be very careful of physicians that discount their fees just to attract patients. They may not have the qualifications and experience necessary to perform a truly topflight rhinoplasty procedure. The best rhinoplasty surgeons in the world do not discount their prices. The patient may end up paying more in the long run for one or two revisions rather than if they had just gone to the appropriate surgeon in the first place.

Sometimes, Rhinoplasty costs can be variable

+1

Cost for a procedure is a multiple of time and expertise. Not all nose surgeries are the same. Some definitely are more difficult than others. After a thorough examination you will be given a surgical cost estimate. There is some room for negotiation but remember your get what you pay for.

Rhinoplasty price comparisons

+1

Converse, to other discussions - there are physicians who charge exhorbitant amounts of money for their procedures as a way to show that they are better. We have a surgeon in our area who charges double what everyone else charges and it is all about the hype. Doctors want to be paid for their work and deserve it, but within reason.

Robert M. Freund, MD

In reality, it is negotiable, if you know how to ask

+1

Surgeons will discount their fees in various situations. A young surgeon might need the business. A patient may have a complementary business that may benefit a surgeon's marketing plan for their practice. A surgeon might feel particularly compassionate about a particular patient's case. It never hurts to ask.

However, I do agree that rock-bottom pricing should be a red flag to you as a consumer. You aren't buying a new outfit. You are purchasing the skills and expertise of a surgeon and are relying on these skills and expertise to provide you the surgical outcome you seek, if realistic.

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

It is always okay to ask about price

+1

Clyde, It is always okay to ask about prices - I would. However, don't forget that you get what you pay for. In this economy, most plastic surgeons would likely make some accommodations for you, but you don't want to push them to the point that they may start cutting corners in your care. Also, most surgeons have financing options available through companies like Care Credit. Good luck with your surgery.

David Shafer, MD

Sometimes.

+1

I agree with Dr. Seckel - the only thing I have to add is that in this economy everything is negotiable. Many physicians have a patient coordinator discuss fees with the patient, so you don't have to deal with the physician in the negotiations.

Even some of the biggest name doctors sometimes discount their fees for patients who will fill in an empty OR slot - or can be on call for the OR on short notice.

But still, if it is real cheap --- buyer beware --- you get what you pay for.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD