Is Obama Boosting Botox and Injectable Filler Sales?

The media is reporting that Botox and dermal filler sales are receiving a major boost from the inauguration festivities, both in the Washington, DC area and across the eastern seaboard as people prepare for celebrations. Are other doctors seeing this trend, or is the story just hype?

Botox and Obama

Celebrities are in tune with cosmetic treatments and often enhance the exposure of these non invasive procedures. Botox demand is similarly influenced by the attention given to it by celebrities such as Obama and Biden.

Despite this, a treatment such as Botox or Juvederm is still a medical procedure and the risks should be emphasized when speaking to an experienced and ethical plastic surgeon.

804 7th Street
Santa Monica, CA 90403

Change is coming Mr President - people are demanding Botox

There is no evidence of an economic downturn in our area and more and more people are requesting Botox, fillers and so on. They all want to look as good as the President and the First Family. The Governor of New York is intent on taxing these procedures and that may be something that places a damper on this booming cosmetic industry in the Big Apple, Central and Western New York. Time will tell.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

5225 Sheridan Drive
Williamsville, NY 14221

The story is some hype and some reality. The fact that the media continues to focus on the trend for people to use injectables to improve their appearance creates advertising which reinforces the validity of the rumor or story (true or otherwise) it started from.

Steven H. Williams, MD

4000 Dublin Blvd
Dublin, CA 94568

Not unusual for this time.

I would call this hype.

It is not unusual for this time of year to see increased sales in minimally invasive procedures. Typically, we see a boost in the weeks preceding the holiday parties when people want to look their best for the holidays.

Immediately bewtween Christmas and New Years, it may slow down a bit because people don't want or have any downtime.

However, after the holiday festivities and vacation are completed, people are just getting back to their routines and that includes their regular Botox or filler injection.

Of course, if the economy gets back on track we will likely see this reflected in the increased consumption of cosmetic services.

I do believe this reflects a seasonal trend.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Botox and increasing numbers

I personally am seeing huge increases int he volume of fillers and botox I use. This may be a reflection on the economy of patients not wanting to pay big numbers for surgical procedures. But it may also signal a trend for less invasive procedures.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Increase in Botox Injections

In Southern California we did not see any uptick in services that we would have been able to attribute to the fact that we welcomed a new President this year. If anything, service volume was trending downward because of the lack of consumer confidence in Southern California earlier this year.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

23211 Hawthorne Blvd.
Torrance, CA 90505

No significant change in Seattle

We have not noticed any significant change in the use of Botox and fillers. I guess, people in Seattle do not consider it necessary for the inauguration celebration. We do, however, tend to be really busy during the holidays, as this is when our patients seem to want to look their best.

Stella Desyatnikova, MD

509 Olive Way
Seattle, WA 98101

Obama Botox article is hype

Doctors continue to see Botox, dermal fillers and all kind of facial laser procedures as well as plastic surgery procedures boom. It is not because of Obama. It is because people like to look good.

Some perhaps who were invited to the inauguration parties or who went to Washington to socialize and perhaps meet their future beau may have had a procedure done but that is only normal. They would do it if they went to any social event.

It is not that Obama influences this. I doubt however, that all these millions of people who barely got there to see Obama inaugurated had time to stop by the office of some Washington dermatologist or plastic surgeon to get injected before they went to see the inauguration. This article connecting Botox with Obama is just hype.

Helen S. Colen, MD

742 Park Ave
New York, NY 10021

Obama= Economic Optimisim

Since the election I think consumers feel more confident in the economic situation and are more likely to make a medium sized purchase such as cosmetic surgery. I don't think it has much to do with the inauguration itself but the man in the oval office, at least not as a nationwide trend.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

845 N Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611

Obama Botox Boost

I have seen similar reports attributing the Botox and dermal filler (Radiesse, Juvederm, Evolence) boost to Obama. In my practice I have also noticed a jump in the use of all products, but I cannot say specifically that it is due to the Obama inauguration celebrations. Since the election however, and especially the new year, there has been a new sense of optimism and everyone is looking for the extra boost that Botox and dermal fillers provide. David Shafer, MD New York City

David Shafer, MD

10 East 53rd Street
New York, NY 10022