1 year post op Breast Augmentation, Is my Implant Bottoming Out?

I had breast augmentation done almost a year ago, and my left breast has always had the incision above my crease. It seems too low and outward. Is my implant bottoming out?

Are You "Bottoming Out?"

+2

"Bottoming out" is the term used to describe a downward malposition of a breast implant, below the natural breast crease:

• the nipple seems to point upward
  • the breast seems too low
  • the upper pole of the breast lacks fullness
  • an inframammary scar (crease incision) will seem to "move" higher on the breast, farther above the crease

Do have your surgeon examine you to see if you are devloping a malposition that might require correction.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

South of the Border?

+2

Michelle,

It indeed sounds as if your implant on the left has gone south of the border. This may be due to the technical creation of the implant pocket during your surgery or the effects of gravity, (more common with larger, heavier implants). If there is a significant asymmetry compared to the opposite breast you should consider having it fixed with an internal repair of the pocket. Most surgeons will perform this procedure with minimal or no cost if within a year of the initial augmentation, especially if the condition was present immediately following your surgery and you have kept your surgeon aware of it. So, get back to your board certified plastic surgeon quickly. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

It might be, but we can't say for sure unless you are examined

+2

Hi Michelle. The above answers are accurate and I agree with all of them. "Bottoming out" does happen with larger implants and with gravity. However, if your incision has ALWAYS been "high" and your nipple appears slightly higher than the center of the implant, then it is likely that the space created for the implant (pocket) was too low. The only real way to answer you is to look at both breasts and determine the cause of the high incision. Seek out a qualified plastic surgeon in Indiana who can help. Good luck.

Sirish Maddali, MD

It sounds like "bottoming out"

+2

If you have a reasonably large and heavy implant, the chance of it migrating south below your crease is higher. This is what is meant by the implant bottoming out. It can be corrected by repairing the pocket but if it is large, the problem may recur. If it was below the crease from the start, there may have been a problem with how the pocket was made.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

When Implants Cross The Line

+2

Under most circumstances, Breast Augmentation through an inframammary fold incision is planned in such a way that the location of the incision should coincide with the eventual or planned level of the fold. If the implant now lies below the fold, and the incision appears to ride up onto the undersurface of the breast/implant, your implants may indeed be "bottoming-out".

Larger, heavier breast implants especially, as well as those placed under the muscle, may have a greater tendency to bottom out, even if the original surgical pocket was created correctly. Another tip-off that the implant(s) are bottoming is if one fold appears lower than the other, or if the center of one or both implants seem to have fallen below the center of the breast, meaning that the upper breast above the nipple and areola appears flatter than desired, or less full than it appeared initially after Breast Augmentation.

Correcting the problem of implant mal-position or bottoming-out involves tightening the implant capsule with sutures ("Capsulorraphy" or "Capsulopexy"), sometimes with a flap of tissue from the inside of the implant pocket. Heavy, large implants may make this a chronic problem, however.

Athleo Louis Cambre, MD

You may be right

+2

Michelle,

Sometimes after breast augmentation, the implants "settle." However, as you state, your problem has "always" been there. It sounds to me more like your implant was malpositioned from the beginning. However, without examining you and seeing your pre- and post-op photos, it is hard to tell for sure. At this point, you will likely need a revision surgery to reposition the implant. This can be done through the same incisions (assuming you either had a infra-mammary fold or peri-areolar incision). During this surgery, be recreate the infra-mammary fold and/or lateral boarder of the implant pocket to hold the implant in the correct position. The recovery from this surgery should be much less involved than your original operation.

I hope this is helpful.

David Shafer, MD
Shafer Plastic Surgery - New York City

David Shafer, MD

You are describing post breast augmentation ptosis

+2

Ptosis describes the sagging of a breast. Almost all woman with breasts will experience some form of ptosis during their lifetime. Gravity is the number one reason. Pregnancy is another cause.

As the breasts enlarge during pregnancy, the tissues stretch out and afterwards they will often not return to its original position. A third form of breast ptosis occurs as a result of the extra weight placed on the breasts from breast implants.

What you are describing is none of these things- it is postaugmentation ptosis. This is the sagging of the implant below the desired location. As a result, the nipples points upward, the inframammary folds become assymetrical, the inframammary scar will ride up on the breast and no longer be in the skin fold.

Many physicians suggest removing the implants, repairing the fold and then placing the implants back in at a later time. Others suggest using a foreign material (Alloderm, Gore-tex) as a splint to support the repair.

I suggest a novel technique that I have described in the medical literature called "an autologous internal breast splint". This technique takes the tissue from your pre-existing breast capsule to correct and preserve the impant in a better, more natural position.

Robert M. Freund, MD

Breast Implant Bottoming Out?

+1

Based on your description of breast implants “too low and outward",  you may be experiencing breast implant malposition ( bottoming out and lateral displacement).

One of the most common complications after breast augmentation surgery is implant mal-position. This occurs when the implant is in an incorrect position on the chest wall. This may include incorrect position of the implant superiorly (“riding high”), inferiorly (“bottoming out”), medially (“symmastia or uni-boob”) or laterally (falling outward into the axilla).

Bottoming out involves inferior migration of the implants. This causes the nipple areola complex to appear too high on the breasts. Also, the distance from the areola to the inframammary fold is too great. This is corrected by “raising” the inframammary fold using internal sutures. This is done after careful measurements are made from the areola to the “new” inframammary fold.

Some post operative breast augmentation patients present with lateral (outwardly) displacement of the breast implants. This can be corrected using an internal suture technique decreasing the size of the pockets and moving the implants toward the midline.

I would suggest in person consultation with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Sound like the breast is bottoming out

+1

“bottoming out”  is the term used to describe the condition which occurs when the breast tends to look as if it has descended on the chest wall after previous surgery,  whether the surgery involved implants, a lift, or a reduction.  In the case of “bottomed out” implants,  sutures can often be placed in the lower pole of the breast to re-elevate the breast on the chest wall.  This is called a capsullorraphy and can achieve excellt results in the correction of “bottomed-out implants.

W. Tracy Hankins, MD

Bottoming out of breast implants

+1

The only way to know for certain if your breast implant is bottoming out is to be examined by a board certified plastic surgeon.  If this is the case, you may need a repair using a reconstructive tissue matrix, which is essentially a type of pig skin.  This is also known as an acellular dermal matrix which can be sutured into place to reinforce the fold and maintain the breast implant position. Some commonly used products for this purpose are Alloderm and Strattice. Please see an experienced plastic surgeon for a detailed review of your treatment options.

Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD