Is the Muscles Tightened in a Tummy Tuck Using the Avelar Method?

Is the Avelar method the same as lipo-assisted adominoplasty? After having six children, I was not able to get all the fat removed from my tummy. So I want to be sure that I'm choosing the best method for removing it.

Avelar Method of Abdominoplasty

+4

The Avelar Abdominoplasty refers to a technique for tummy tucks that was developed in the 1990's by a Brazilian plastic surgeon. I have had the pleasure of seeing him present his techniques, watch him perform surgery, and have been very impressed with his results.

If the surgeon performing the technique strictly follows Dr. Avelar's method, then yes, there will be muscle tightening stitches placed. However, since I personally do not perform the procedure, nor do I know the surgeon performing your surgery, I guess that I cannot really promise you that this extra step of muscle tightening will occur, especially since the placement of these tightening stitches is a bit more difficult using his technique, and usually requires a special set of instruments that he has developed specifically for this issue.

It would probably be best to have an open discussion with the surgeon to specifically discuss the procedure and how it is planned to be performed for you.

Pontiac Plastic Surgeon

Plication possible with Avelar

+4

Avelar technique is a minimal undermining tummy tuck in addition to liposuction. It is a good technique in the right patient. Plication is possible by creating a tunnel in the midline.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Muscle tightening and lipo vs full tummy tuck

+2

The technique to which you are referring can be successfully used in patients who have 1) excess fat, 2) minimal loose skin, and 3) a significant abdominal wall laxity contributing to their abdominal deformity.  In my practice, very few moms fulfill those criteria.  Most people who get less than a full abdominoplasty are usually not happy.  But if depends on whether you mind loose skin or not.

Mark A. Schusterman, MD

I'd advise a tummy tuck

+2

You look like a good candidate for a traditional tummy tuck, rather than liposuction with muscle tightening. The lipo method would still leave a lot of stomach skin, which could be "flabby" after having fat removed, and you would still have a lot of stretch marks. The benefit of the tummy tuck is that in addition to tightening all of your stomach muscles, a significant amount of stomach skin is removed, and with it goes the stretch marks. Your belly button would be refined (right now it is quite deep and wide), and the stomach skin will be thinner. I frequently get asked if I will perform liposuction on the tummy skin at the same time as the abdominoplasty. I do not do this, as I think it is dangerous--but it is also unnecessary. Stomach skin is elastic, and when all of the skin from below the belly button is removed and the upper skin stretched out to replace it, it gets thinner. A good analogy is a thick rubber band. Look at the thickness from a side view, and then stretch it to twice the length. The thickness goes to about half.

I wish you the best.

Michael A. Bogdan, MD, FACS

Same thing, disregard fancy names for Tummy Tuck

+2

It is no different than doing liposuction in the abdominal area as well as performing a tummy tuck.

Just make sure that the doctor performing this is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

You are a great candidate for a tummy tuck!

+1

Tummy tucks are a very popular and effective way to contour the abdomen. As no two patients are alike, in our practice, no to tummy tucks are the same. We evaluate every patient individually to determine what component of the abdomen needs to be addressed. If they do not require tightening of the muscles and have good quality skin they may be a candidate for liposuction alone. If they do require muscle tightening and they have extra fat and skin in the central abdomen, they may benefit from a mini tummy tuck. If they have these symptoms but also have fat and tissue in their hips and waist, they may benefit from a regular tummy tuck. Your best bet is to be evaluated by a board-certified plastic surgeon with a great deal of experience in abdominoplasty and liposuction techniques. Such an expert will be able to assess the different components of your abdominal wall and determine which combination of procedures will help you meet your personal aesthetic goals.

To learn more about tummy tucks, see photos, and help you decide which one is best for you, please visit us at the link below:

Pat Pazmino, MD