Is Laser Resurfacing After Juvederm Safe?

Six months ago I had a small amount of Juvederm filler used on a scar on my chin. There was an improvement, but I would like to have CO2 laser resurfacing to try for more improvement. Is this safe considering the somewhat recent use of Juvederm?

It is safe to have laser resurfacing 6 months after Juvederm.

+3

There is no problem with having laser resurfacing six months after Juvederm. The material is placed deeper into the skin than the laser will go. By 6 months your skin has adjusted to the presence of the Juvederm and inflammation has subsided.

Laser After Juvederm Safe

+1

Laser resurfacing of any type should be safe 6 months after Juvederm injection. In most cases, the juvederm is injected into deeper layers of skin than the thermal energy will penetrate.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

The CO2 laser treatment should not impact the Juvederm that was injected into the skin.

+1

There should be no problem adverse effects from the CO2 laser following Juvederm® injection, especially after six months. Juvederm is typically injected into the deep dermis or sub-dermal layers of the skin. CO2 laser will not be penetrating to this depth.

Thanks for your question. I hope this helps!

Stephen A. Goldstein, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

It should be safe

+1

By six months, there should be no problem utilizing the CO2 LASER in areas treated with Juvederm. The CO2 LASER affects the surface of the skin. The Juvederm should at a deeper level.

William H. Huffaker, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Laser treatment and Juvederm

+1

There have been some recent studies looking at this very question. Because the lasers deal with the surface, the fillers are not usually placed superficial enough to be damaged by the lasers. It should be OK.

CO2 is NOT the only option

+1

I like CO2, but that is not the only option. I have seen good results and safer treatments with Pearl Fractional, Erbium, Ematrix, and others as well. CO2 can be dangerous in the wrong hands, as any device.

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist

Fraxel may be a better option

+1

It should be okay to have the CO2 laser resurfacing of the scar 6 months after Juvaderm as long as the doctor stays conservative. The Fraxel laser may be a better option to look into for improving your scar

Christopher W. Chase, MD
Chattanooga Plastic Surgeon

CO2 laser is safe after Juvederm

+1

You should have no problems having CO2 laser 6 months after Juvederm. You might need additional Juvederm injections after the laser, talk about it with your doctor.

Stella Desyatnikova, MD

Laser Resurfacing after Juvederm is safe.

+1

While there is no safety issue with CO2 laser following hyaluronic acid filler injections, realize there is a theoretical risk that the resulting inflammation from the CO2 could cause the Juvederm to break down faster.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist