Labiaplasty vs. Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation

What's the difference between labiaplasty and laser vaginal rejuvenation? How do I decide which procedure I need?

Labiaplasty with Laser vaginal rejuvenation

+2

A labiaplasty generally refers to the inner lips (labia minora) of the opening of the vagina. It can also refer to reduction of the outer lips (labia majora) of the vagina but this is much less common. A laser is a cutting instrument similar to a knife so it can be used for a labiaplasty or a vaginal tightening procedure.  However, it does not offer any advantage. When used for a labiaplasty, the laser is a trimming procedure.  The LVR is a vaginal or internal tightening procedure in which the vaginal muscles are tightened and the extra vaginal lining is removed. Once again, it does not have any advantages over traditional scalpel.

Labiaplasty is not Vaginal Rejuvenation

+2
Labiaplasty is the cosmetic surgery of the inner labia (called inner but it's still on outside of the vagina canal)
Vaginal Rejuvenation refers to vaginal tightening (tightening of the inside of the vaginal canal)
Thus one is an 'outside' procedure, and the other is an 'inside' procedure.  They can be done at the same time.

Sincerely,
Martin Jugenburg, MD

Web reference: http://torontosurgery.ca/Labiaplasty-Labia-Reduction-Toronto.html

Labiaplasty and vaginal rejuvenation are different procedures

+2

Labiaplasty refers to modifying or changing the labia (lips). Labiaplasty may refer to modification of the labia minora (inner lips) or labia majora (outer lips). It is more common for patients to request modification of the labia minora. Vaginal rejuvenation usually refers to modifying the vagina or reducing the size or tightening the vaginal opening.

Labia=Lips and Vagina=Vagina

+2

Let's review the definitions to clarify this point:

LABIAPLASTY

• Labia is the latin term for lips. Women's external genitalia (also called vulva) are generally composed of the mons, labia majora (outer hair bearing lips) and labia minora (thinner inner lips)

A labiaplasty is any plastic surgery procedure performed on the labia but generally this is usually interpreted to be a labia minora reduction

VAGINAL REJUVENATION USUAL REFERS TO VAGINOPLASTY

• The vagina is the canal which begins at the cervix and opens into the vulvar vestibule flanked on either side by the labia minora

Vaginoplasty is any plastic surgery procedure on the vagina and NOT the labia. It typically refers to restoring the vagina to a "younger" ... more youthful condition namely making it "tighter". This can be accomplished using a scalpel, electrocautery, radiofrequency, or laser device. When laser is used it is called "laser vaginal rejuvenation"

The benefits of the laser over the other devices remain largely unproven. In my practice I tend to use electrocautery or radiofrequency.

Laser Labiaplasty Is an External Operation-Vaginal Rejuvenation Is Internal

+1

Labiaplasty involves reducing the external genitalia, the Labia major or Minor. Most commonly this is done to relieve irritation of the Labia by tight fitting clothing.

Vaginal Rejuvenation more commonly refers to repair of the Internal Vagina.

Labiaplasty and Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation.

+1

Labiaplasty refers to surgery done on the woman's external genitalia, either the Labia Minora or the Labia Majora (Less common) this surgery alters the external appearance of the Vagina. Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation, or Vaginoplasty is an operation that tightens the vaginal canal and surrounding muscles, ususally done after vaginal deliveries to increase sexual satisfaction during intercourse. There is no difference in the appearance of the vagina after vaginoplasty, it is all internal work, Hope that answers your question. Good Luck.

Labiaplasty and Laser Vaginal Rejuvination

+1

Labiaplasty and Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation are two totally different procedures done for completely different reasons on different pieces of anatomy.

Labiaplasty, which most commonly involves surgical reduction of the labia minora (inner/thinner lips), has become a relatively common procedure over the last ten and even more so last five years.  Whether the surgery is done using a laser, scalpel, or scissors does not really matter but what does matter is "symmetry".  Symmetry is the most important aspect to the final aesthetic result.  Also, it's not how much tissue is removed but how much is left remaining because a certain amount is necessary to maintain proper form and function.  To achieve these two most important elements, it is extremely important to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in this operation (does at least 1 - 2 per week).  It may cost you a bit more but it this type of result you will want to live with for the rest of your life.  Typical (all inclusive) fee at my office/surgery center is $4500. 

On the other hand, Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation is performed to reconstruct (more or less tighten) the vaginal vault most typically following vaginal deliver child birth.  Again, there really is nothing special about the laser but rather the experience of the surgeon is the most important element to achieving a good result...Best of luck in your search...RAS 

Labiaplasty is different than the laser vaginal rejuvenation

+1

Labiaplasty is a surgical technique to reduce the amount of skin tissue in the labia of a female patient. This is commonly performed for asymmetry or when patients feel that they have excess tissue in this area. Some patients complain of discomfort due to the extra skin during sexual intercourse. Other patients state that some of this excess tissue may protrude from their underwear. A laser vaginal rejuvenation is a technique to rejuvenate and tighten the inside of the vagina. This is performed by gynecologists. It is important to note that the American College of gynecologists has not approved for vaginoplasty procedures as it is uncertain what the long-term effects of a vaginoplasty may be.

Labioplasty and Laser vaginoplasty

+1

Labioplasty is reducing the size of labia minora.

Laser vaginoplasty refers to a procedure where a diode laser is used to remove a portion of the vaginal mucosa (lining of the vagina) to achieve tightening of the vagina.

Labiaplasty generally changes the appearance on the "Outside"

+1

These procedures mean different things to different physicians as these operations are not standard. You will not find them featured in any surgical textbook or taught in most residency programs. It therefore falls to the potential patient to ask specifically what a given surgeon recommends. Find out what he or she wants to do for you and think about it before you have surgery.

As a plastic surgeon, I only concern myself with the Labia, or outer structures. My patients are most commonly seeking reduction of their Labia minorae (the outer lips.) This procedure is well received with little risk relative to working inside the vagina (in the right hands of course.)

The way you determine what you desire is personal. You need to think about what really bothers you "down there." This will help you focus your discussion with the surgeon you choose.

On the "laser" aspect, this is a marketing gimmick. I don't use them for this operation and really don't see the benefit as a laser can burn the tissue and I wouldn't want to do that.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

Orange Plastic Surgeon