Is It Too Late for Me to Get Restylane Shots?

I have a wedding in 3 weeks so I want to look "better", since I'm 59. Is it too late for me to get Restylane shots? Do you think I'm too close to the wedding event that I may actually look worse if it takes time for the positive effects to take place?

Editor's Note: See answers for similar question, Is it a bad idea to get cosmetic injections before a major social event?

3 weeks is plenty of time

+3

Three weeks before an event is plenty of time to have dermal fillers. Depending of where you want the fillers injected and which filler you use, you may have a few days of bruising or swelling - however, all should be resolved in time for your event. Of note, I have found Evolence, a new collagen product, to cause the least bruising and swelling. If your event was in the next few days, I would suggest having Evolence. However, since your event is three weeks away, any of the fillers (Restylane, Juvederm, Perlane, etc) should be fine.

Good luck and have fun at the wedding.

David Shafer, MD
New York City

Also Prevelle

+2

In addition to the excellent comments from the other practitioners for patients that are "close to the wire" in terms of injectables, I have used Prevelle from Mentor corporation which is a hylauronic acid injectable.

It tends to have less "downtime" and be well tolerated in terms of pain (has lidocaine in it) and swelling. The trade-off is it is shorter acting.

All injectables have the risk of bruising. A skilled injector can reduce this risk.

Good luck

Steven Williams, MD

Steven H. Williams, MD

Timing of Cosmetic Facial Fillers: Wedding Preparation. Juvederm, Restylane, Radiesse

+2

Facial fillers address volume loss that occurs with age. Timing of treatment is important as these injectables can induce mild residua, including:

• Bruising
  • Swelling

Our office is often asked to consult patients who are anxious to have treatments done prior to a big event. Botox and Facial fillers are generally well tolerated weeks before a major social event as the bruising and swelling rarely lasts that long. In these circumstances, it is prudent to pretreat with an anti-inflammatory and anti-bruising medication such as Sinecch or BruiseStick to reduce the incidence of postprocedural swelling and bruising.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Consider Evolence...the collagen event filler

+2

There are numerous soft tissue fillers to consider. However, I have been extremely pleased using a new filler introduced to us in the United states just a few months ago... Evolence®

Evolence® is a dermal filler is made of natural collagen, one of the most prevalent materials in your body. It achieves an almost immediate, natural-looking results. The injection is associated with minimal swelling and brusing with immediate results. Because of this, some refer to Evolence as the event filler .

In summary, advantages of Evolence®

* Causes minimal-to-no swelling or bruising, so you can get right back to daily activities
* Last for at least 6 months so it is convenient and reduces costly repeat visits
* Unlike older collagen products, this does not require a skin pre-test

I would recommend that you go to the Evolence® website and find a qualified board certified physician in your area.

Congratulations and best of luck!

Stephen A. Goldstein, MD

Stephen A. Goldstein, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

You have plenty of time to get Restylane!

+2

You have plenty of time to have your Restylane injections. I would agree that gives plenty of time for any bruising and swelling to resolve.

I have found that injections below the eyes in the "tear trough" area bruise the most and may take the longest to resolve. Injections into the smile lines and lips typically don't stay as bruised as long.

Arnica gel and sublingual tablets as well as Bromelain can be helpful adjuncts to a faster recovery from bruising. Refraining from aspirin or advil/motrin and ideally not having any for at least a week prior would also be recommended.

I would also recommend seeing a board-certified plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon, ophthalmologist, or dermatologist and having a phyisician inject you to get the best possible results.

Congratulations!

James F. Boynton, MD

Restylane Injections and Special Events

+2

Hi Cyn,

Hurry up, get your injections, and you should be fine. Choose your injecting physician carefully as you want to look great for those wedding photos.

Three weeks in plenty of time for any bruising, swelling, or necessary touch ups. The positive effects will be seen immediately.

Fortunately you have enough time before the big day. For our patients who go on that Las Vegas elopement, we use Evolence, the new porcine collagen product that looks good the same day, and has a smaller chance of bruising and swelling.

Congratulations!

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

You have time

+2

Any bruising from fillers should be gone in 1-2 weeks. Injections around the eyes or upper cheeks cause bruising that can take 2 weeks to resolve, while bruising from lip injection or injections into the lower face usually clears slightly faster.

To minimize your risk of bruising, stay away from aspirin and ibuprofen unless they are medically necessary. Only take medications that have been prescribed for you. To be safe, discuss ALL of your medications with your physician. In addition, arnica is a homeopathic remedy that many of my patients swear by to clear their brusing more quickly.

Jordana S. Gilman, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Congratulations and go for it

+2

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. You should have enough time before the ceremony for any bruising and swelling to resolve. I definitely suggest visiting with a dermatologist, facial plastic surgeon, or plastic surgeon with experience in fillers to perform your injection. While it is enough time for the bruising and swelling to go away, 3 months is not enough time for a bad result to resolve.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane prior to important social occasion.

+1

3 weeks prior to an important engagement is plenty of time, and will allow you to even do a touch up if needed. Ensure that you go to an experienced and expert injector to minimize bruising and swelling concerns.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Not at all!

+1

Not at all! But I suggest you hurry! Bruising usually lasts only for the first week to ten days.  Week two you should be okay and the results of the product should be witnessed. Avoid Aspirin, Advil, Motrin, Vitamin E and all other blood thinners the week before your injection to decrease the likelihood of bruising. By week three you should be glowing and ready to party! 

Yael Halaas, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon