Diet Plan to Maintain Liposuction Results?

I had the traditional Tumescent Liposuction done on my upper/lower abs, upper/lower hips and upper arms.  I like the results so far and I've lost almost 8 lbs. Do I now need to be on a diet "forever" so that I don't gain anything back? If I do gain the weight back, does it go back to the same places or other places?

Just maintain a healthy diet and regular exercise.

+2

Celkins,

The best way to look at it is that liposuction is a second chance at a nice body. You blew it the first time and needed the liposuction to get rid of the fat. Now that you have had the liposuction, don't blow it again. If you maintain a healthy diet and regular exercise, you should be fine. If you do gain weight again, a smaller proportion of fat will go to the areas that you had liposuctioned, but you will get the fat in a higher proportion in other areas of your body. Liposuction does not prevent you from gaining weight, it only removes the weight that is already there.

Good luck and enjoy your liposuction results.

David Shafer, MD
Shafer Plastic Surgery
New York City

Having Liposuction is NOT a Permanent Pass to All-You-Can Eat' ville

+1

Regard fat for what it really is ; a massive storage facility in which each cell is capable of storing huge amounts unused calories in the form of fat.

Liposuction selectively removes large numbers of these storage units thereby giving the body more attractive curves and contours PRESUMING that the remaining fat cells maintain their current volumes.

But - obviously this is not the case. Many people misguidedly regard Liposuction as a Get-Out-Of-Jail ticket or an Unlimited All-you-can-eat pass. When they resume bad dietary habits, the REMAINING fat cells do what they do best - they store the calories as fat and the fat areas get big - AGAIN. This results in fat deposition everywhere fat cells are present.

Post liposuction instructions

+1

Do you need to stay on a diet? I think that you should jsut eat healthy foods while trying to maintain your weight as best as possible.

No need to diet after liposuction.

+1

Hi.

After adolescence, we don't make new fat cells. When you put on weight, the same number of fat cell just get bigger. So the fat cells removed with liposuction don't come back.  That's why the improvement in SHAPE is so long lasting, and persists even if you gain weight.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

It is more important to maintain your weight than to lose more.

+1

Weight loss after liposuction is not uncommon. People have improved their contour and are happy with what they see. This often stimulates them to seek a better overall appearance. So exercise and diet "tone things up". I hope you had the discussion of weight with you doctor before surgery. This way he/she did not over resect fat to create a contour that may look different at a much reduced weight.

If you would gain a large amount of weight after liposuction, your results would be less dramatic or even disappear. You would tend to gain inches in other areas first. During liposuction, some of the fat cells are removed, so they do not get as large with weight gain. But some fat cells remain and can mask a good result with increasing weight.

The important point is to maintain your weight, or lose with diet and exercise on a plan.

David A. Dreyfuss, MD

Maintaining your diet is important but exercising is equally if not more important!

+1

Watching what you eat and giving yourself little binges once in awhile will help maintain your shape very well, but you still need to exercise as well. Our metabolism slows down as we age and become more sedantary. Exercise increases the metabolism and also helps us feel more fit and alert. Enjoy your new body.

David Hansen, MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon