Is It Necessary to Be on Skin Bleaching Regimen Before Total FX?

I've had bad skin (redness, acne scars, freckles, etc.) for a LONG time, so I was disappointed when I had to wait a few weeks before the procedure. I know and EXPECT to have hyperpigmentation after the treatment (Asian skin), and would take every precautionary step in order to avoid/heal it as fast as possible. I'd rather deal with hyperpigmentation afterwards than to live another day with this face. So it is possible to be treated WITHOUT being on HQ before treatment?

Pretreatment not necessary before Total FX

+1

I have been using the DeepFX and ActiveFX for 18 months now and none of our patients have developed any pigment issues after the therapy. We do not have them do any pretreatment regime. Hope this helps.

Oklahoma City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bleaching agents before laser resurfacing?

+1

The data is pretty convincing for lasers that you don't necessarily need to "pretreat" your skin prior to laser resurfacing. This is in contrast to chemical peels where the results are better if you pretreat the skin. As far as after the treatment, I routinely put patients on a bleaching agent although their is some movement to only treat patients at high risk.

Jeffrey Kenkel, MD

Hydroquinone before is a good idea

+1

Especially in ethnic skin, the pre-Total FX use of retinoids, hydroquinone, and sunscreen will decrease the post-treatment hyperpigmentation risk. I recommend at least 2 weeks. Then, after the skin is re-epithelialized, restart the program. Your doctor is trying to prevent severe hyperpigmentation, and prevention is always easier than correction.

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist