Microdermabrasion at Home

Is home microdermabrasion a good idea or should I pay more money to go to a professional?

Are at-home microdermabrasion kits safe, or should I see a dermatologist?

+2

It's a good idea to visit a board certified dermatologist & have them do a few Microdermabrasion treatments in their office the proper way. After you have experienced professional microdermabrasion & have achieved the results, you can speak with your dermatologist about your skincare needs & then consider what type of exfoliation is good for your skin. At my practice I like to utilize the Parisian Peel System. I also created an easy to use at-home microdermabrasion facial disc that compliments in office treatments, but I do realize that all home microdermabrasion products were not created equally. Some of my patients with more sensitive skin can only use my intensify facial discs once, or twice a week, while others can use up to 3 times a week. This depends on your skin-type & the product that you have chosen. There are microdermabrasion products that I would recommend highly & others that I would not trust. Speak to your dermatologist, and do your skincare product research wisely. As always let a dermatologist guide you there. A heart surgeon should always do your bypass!

Home microdermabrasion vs. Professional Microdermabrasion

+2

Microdermabrasion is a form of mechanical exfoliation that complements a regimented skin care protocol. Patients with clogged pores, melasma, uneven skin texture, and poor complexion may benefit from the outpatient skin treatment. Home microdermabrasion is convenient, but cannot reach the same depth of treatment as those performed by a professional.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Home Microdermabrasion: Not Recommended

+2

I would strongly advise against performing microdermabrasion at home.

It is important to apply the device in an even and uniform manner. This is difficult to do at home. Failure to do so could result in suboptimal results. It could even result in damage to the skin including altered pigmentation, scarring, or burns.

For gentle exfoliation, I would recommend a buff-puff. For anything stronger, I would highly recommend leaving such procedures to a skilled healthcare professional who can safely perform the procedure under direct vision using proper lighting and instrumentation.

Adam Schaffner, MD, FACS