Is Fraxel Restore a Right Choice for Me?

I am 32 years old asian female, and i am ready for a new me! :) i hear that i have great skin, but on the cheeks, i have hyperpigmentation/ sun spot i want to get rid of (more so on the left side. I also have really slight greenish? tone aroudn the mouth area, tiny brokern capilaries on the lower left cheek, two verticle lines next to my mouth (laugh lines) that makes me look older than i am and fine lines around my eyes as well. i dont have an acne problem at all. i really want even skin tone and lines to go away, but after reading some posts about the side effects (hyper/ hypo pigmentation, sulken lower eye ares etc) if it's worth it for me or if i should look for a different option instead. i plan on taking 3 days off of work so i have 5 days to recover from the treatment. is Frexel REstore a right choice for me?

Erbium laser skin resurfacing or Photofacial are excellent for pigment and skin rejuvenation

+1

The Fraxel Restore and the Lux1540 are both non ablative Erbium lasers for skin resurfacing. When used correctly they remove pigment and stimulate the growth of new collagen to plump wrinkles and rejuvenate the skin appearance.

You mention visible blood vessels and capillaries on the skin. The non-ablative Fraxel and other Erbium skin resurfacing lasers are not effective on skin vessels. Photofacial or IPL (Intense Pulsed light) in the green or 550-650nm range are the best for superficial pigment and blood vessels and have less downtime and less redness after treatment than the Erbium lasers. You need an expert to treat Asian skin to avoid hyperpigmentation by using lower power settings.

For Asian skin avoid CO2 laser skin resurfacing-there is risk of hyperpigmentation and delayed hypopigmentation which cannot be corrected. Be aware that Fraxel Repair, Active FX and Deep FX are all CO2 laser skin resurfacing machines. Avoid them.

For skin irregularities like fine wrinkles, small scars and sun damaged skin, fractional ablative laser skin resurfacing with the 2940 Erbium fraqctionjal laser is the best option for Asian Skin.

Recently we have combined the Lux 1540 non-ablative Erbium and the Lux 2940 ablative Erbium into one procedure called combined laser skin resurfacing, which has produced superb results.

Fraxel great for rejuventation

+1

Fraxel is great for rejuventation - but based on your photo and what your friends tell you, I think you likely already have goregeous skin that might be hard to improve upon to a great deal. I think Fraxel would be very nice for you and would be very safe, but there may be other options for your skin concerns - a GentleLase treatment with or without Fraxel just to the brown spot, Vbeam or GentleYAG or 532 laser for your fine broken vessels, Vbeam or IPL for texture. The greenish color you describe as well as fine vertical lines around the mouth probably would respond best to a fractional laser such as Fraxel.

Elizabeth F. Rostan, MD
Charlotte Dermatologist

Fraxel works well on Asian skin

+1

Fraxel is a good option. It addresses both scars as well as discoloration. It is important that an experience board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon evaluate you and direct the treatment settings. It will take 3-6 sessions to give you the best results. Topical retinoids should be used before, and full spectrum sun block and hydroquinone will likely be required for best results.

Good Luck.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist