Is Dermaplaning Safe for Women with Tan or Olive Skin Color?

I'm a 32-year-old hispanic woman, and I have a little sun damage, fine lines, and some skin discoloration. My dermatologist recommends Dermaplaning, but I'm not sure if the procedure is safe for me. Will it work for my skin type? I'd like to learn more about it.

Dermaplaning is safe for any skin type

+1
Dermaplaning is safe for any skin type. Deeper treatments by laser or peels should be avoided by some patients with darker complexions. Sunscreen is mandatory to help avoid pigmentation problems after any exfoliating treatment. The patients in my office have had extremely rewarding results with dermaplaning and is a favorite treatment of my wife and daughter alike. Best regards!

Web reference: http://www.michaelelammd.com

Deramaplaning

+1

Dermaplaning is a physical exfoliation of the skin by using a blade to lightly scrape the outer layer of facial skin.  This technique does not involve use of any chemicals that may effect skin color.  I have had this technique in my plastic surgery practice for over 20 years and it is still one of our most popular skin care treatments and can be done on all skin types.  Often the facial hair is gone on a temporary basis and clients like the smooth feeling of their faces.  Dermaplaning allows the skin to absorb chemicals and it often followed with a chemical peel adding better penetration of the chemicals.  Cryotherapy is also added to help with facial acne areas.  It is a very good treatment to have on a monthly basis to have the skin maintain a healthy skin glow.

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

The ideal candidate for dermaplaning

+1

Dermaplaning is a technique where the outer layers of skin are exfoliated with the use of a blade. Dermaplaning is an effective way to resurface the skin. However, care must be taken to remain only the superficial layer of the skin. When the blade enters the deeper layers of the dermis you can expect small areas of pinpoint bleeding. For this reason, dermaplaning should be done by a physician or under direct physician supervision.

Dermaplaning is safe for any Skin Type

+1

Yes, dermaplaning is safe for women with tan or olive skin color. Sun avoidance and daily use of an SPF is recommended after any type of exfoliation treatment though to reduce the risk of hyperpigmentation.

Web reference: http://www.DrArmandoSoto.com

Dermaplaning is safe on all skin types

+1

Since you are not removing deeper layers of skin, anyone can enjoy dermaplaning without side effects. This is a great option for those of you with darker skin types wanting to erase sun damage. Skin products such as hydroquinone and/or a strong percentage of vitamin C serum is recommended to enhance and speed up results in between dermaplaning treats that can be done once a month. You will be able to see a noticeable difference even after just one treatment.

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Dermaplaning in a dark complected individual

+1

If performed judiciously and by an experienced individual, dermaplaning should not have any effect on a darkly complected individual. Similarly, microdermabrasion should have few complications if performed properly.

I would advise caution with chemical peels, conventional dermabrasion or laser.

Of course, in any case be cautious hormonal supplements, avoid sun exposure, and minimize/prevent inlfammatory conditions.