Is my Chin Implant Malpositioned?

I had a chin implant put in a month ago. On one side I can feel the end of the "wing" on my gumline from the inside of my mouth (it's not painful or uncomfortable). On the other side I cannot. When I look at my face, I can notice that it doesn't look completely symmestrical; but my friends say they can't. Should I be concerned and try to fix it - or is it normal for it to be slightly off? Thank you.

Chin Implant Positioning

+1

Slight variations in the positioning of the wings of a chin implant are more common than one would imagine.  To feel one wing under the gum and not the other is probably a normal situation.  Time and decrease of swelling will probably cure most of your perceived problem. 

Also, the asymmetry that you see may be attributable to uneven swelling which is certainly not abnormal with chin implants.  This is an area I would give at least 3 to 6 months for the swelling to go down before I would ever consider any revisionary surgery.  Also, since the implants are preformed to be symmetrical and very often your jaw is not symmetrical, minor post operative asymmetries are very often unavoidable. 

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implants Should Be Symmetric

+1

In general, chin implants should be symmetric. While it can be possible to feel the implant, you should not see the implant. At one month, it is a bit early to go for a revision. I woudl suggest waiting a bit more and seeing if what you are feeling/seeing may just be swelling. Whatever you decide, be sure to discuss it with your surgeon.

Web reference: http://innovationsfps.com

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant asymmetry

+1

chin implant asymmetry is many times felt more than seen.  if after a few months you see asymmetry then you may consider revision

Web reference: http://www.seattleface.com/html/chin_augmentation.php

Too early

+1

You may have uneven jaw line or uneven implant placement. Either way let it be as long as it does hurt and it is not noticeable.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant asymmetry

+1

It is quite common for your jawbone to be uneven. If this was the case then it is natural to expect that your chin implant may not sit symmetrically within the mouth. You my want to leave well enough alone if the external appearance is satisfactory. One other consideration is the type of implant; depending on the type of implant you have, some are easier to reposition early after surgery and may be more difficult to position at a later date. Smooth implants (usually silicone) are easy to remove whereas medpor or mesh type implants may promote tissue ingrowth preventing easy extraction.

See your plastic surgeon

+1

When chin implants are placed, they are often palpable and feel a little different and mobile until they heal down completely. Moving the implant is not ideal however it is common immediately following your surgery. Your physcian will be able to tell you if it is malpositioned. Enjoy your new look! 

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon