Is Breast Augmentation Redo Recommended for Me?

I have recently undergone breast augmentation. I'm a small B and want to be a full C cup. My surgeon has placed 290cc memory gel silicone implants. At first, I was happy with the size but after 3 weeks, when the swelling has gone away, it turned out smaller than what I expected. I want a redo, is this recommended? If yes, when can I have it done, and what should I expect (like possible extra cost, pain, etc.)? Thanks.

When to Redo an Augmentation

+2

I am sorry to hear that you are not completely happy with the results of your augmentation.

My advice is to give yourself 3 - 6 months to recover and adjust, after your recent augmentation. Be sure all the  swelling and settling has occurred before reevaluating for a possible replacement.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

"Goin' on Up" - The Potential Pitfalls of "going larger" with Breast Implants

+2

Regarding: "Is Breast Augmentation Redo Recommended for Me?
I have recently undergone breast augmentation. I'm a small B and want to be a full C cup. My surgeon has placed 290cc memory gel silicone implants. At first, I was happy with the size but after 3 weeks, when the swelling has gone away, it turned out smaller than what I expected. I want a redo, is this recommended? If yes, when can I have it done, and what should I expect (like possible extra cost, pain, etc.)? Thanks
."

There are a LOT of misconceptions when it comes to picking THE right breast implants for each woman.

Misconception No. 1 - THE ANY AND ALL FALLACY - Any woman regardless of her chest size, breast skin tightness, chest slope and available breast tissue can be augmented with ANY size breast implant on the market. Regardless of our ambitions, just as a 300 pound linebacker cannot easily slip into a size 6 dress, or a VW beetle, the laws of physics (friction, distention etc) would not allow placing a 700 cc implant into a 34 A cup nulliparous woman.

MISCONCEPTION No. 2 - BIGGEST IS BETTER (AKA the "all you can eat" salad bar approach to breast augmentation. Biggest is rarely better. Large implants cannot resist gravity. They thin the overlying breast tissue and especially the skin. They destroy any remaining breast suspensory (Cooper's) ligaments are are ALWAYS associated with RAPIDLY sagging breasts.

MISCONCEPTION No. 3 - I CAN PREDICT POST-AUGMENTATION CUP SIZE BASED ON THE IMPLANTS' VOLUME (CC) ( "Doctor, my chest measurements are X, Y, Z, if I have an implant measuring XXcc's, what cup size will I be?") . There OUGHT to be a law forcing bra manufacturers to choose and adhere to industry standards regarding cup sizes. All other industries have such standards so when we buy a gallon of gas, or a quart of milk, or compare cars based on their mileage, we get a true comparison. There are NO such standards in the bra industry and each manufacturer can call its bras A,B,C,D regardless of the cc volume of the cups. As a result, since we cannot guestimate your pre-surgery breast volume, to which we add a known implant volume, we cannot accurately predict the after-surgery volume or cup size.

MISCONCEPTION No. 4 - MY BREASTS WOULD LOOK EQUALLY AS ATTRACTIVE WITH ANY BREAST IMPLANT ON THE MARKET. Not really. None of the current breast implants are perfect. They have several shortcomings one of which is their tendency to ripple and create folds. Although such rippling is seen much more with saline filled implants, it is seen to a lesser extent with gel filled implants as well.

The BEST way to get an attractive (or as many women refer to it - NATURAL) breast augmentation is to pick an implant that will stay on the flat part of YOUR chest wall and be COVERED by your current breast tissue. If wider implants are used which exceed your present breast tissue, the implant will NOT be covered along the sides and bottom and ALL the ripples will be felt and seen giving the breasts that familiar "fake" look we have seen numerous time.

So - you and your surgeon have to make a intelligent, educated choice.

You need to decide what LOOK you want and how many times you want to be operated upon to TRY and get certain sized breasts (without regards to how they will feel or look 1,2, or 5 years from now) and your Plastic surgeon needs to decide as well. He needs to decide if to take your money and just give you the implants YOU insist on, knowing full well the sequence of consequences such implants will cause. It is both a business decision and an ethical decision on his part.

In your particular case, I would wait up to 4-6 months for the swelling an inflammation to go away. The, carefully look and feel your breasts, standing, leaning over and on your back. If you do not feel or see rippling OR if they are present and do not bother you, you may then consider having your implants exchanged.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Breast augmentation price break down

+1
In general, Breast revision, if it is merely replacing an implant and no major revision or lifting of the implant needs to be done, then the replacement fee is far simpler than the actual primary surgery and is thus less expensive. The prices of Breast Augmentation, Lift, or full mommy make overs as well as revisions can vary widely from city to city. For example, a breast augmentation can cost 3-4 times in LA and New York what it costs in Montana.
In looking at the a price quote for breast augmentation, you should consider many variables.
1. The Surgeon's Fee. This can vary widely depending on the experience and results and thus demand for that surgeon. This also sometimes depends on technique. For example, a sub-muscular placement of an implant is much faster and thus takes less work for the surgeon than a sub-fascial placement of the implant that takes twice as long.
2. The Implant. The breast implant price depends on using a saline, memory gel, or highly cohesive (gummybear) implants. Usually saline implants cost about $1,000 for a pair, memory gel $2,000, and highly cohesive $3,000. If fat is used instead of an implant, then usually a fat harvest charge is used instead of implant fee as liposuction supplies are used and the fat purified in a variety of methods. The size of the implant does not matter, only the type of implant. If a dermal matrix is needed then there is an additional charge (usually about $1,000). In revisions, often the same implant can be used which saves on the implant costs. If a breast lift alone is performed, then obviously there is no implant cost.
3. Anesthesia. This can vary as well. If a board certified anesthesiologist is used then the price is higher. If a CRNA (nurse anesthetist) then the price is lower. It is even lower when a doctor just uses a non-certified anesthetist nurse, or just a medical assistant to push the anesthetic drugs (yes, this actually does happen).
4. Facility Fee. This can vary if the surgeon is using a certified surgery center or hospital vs. his non-certified office.
These four components make the total price, so it is best to break these down so the patient knows exactly what she is getting.
Realself has an average cost for each city.
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Regret about size

+1

Regret about size is a common concern post breast augmentation. For that reason, it is vital that a detailed series of consultations occur prior to surgery for the surgeon to fully understand the lifestyle, lifestage, and objectives of the patient.

It is generally adviseable to wait 6 months so you can be physically and mentally prepared prior to deciding to go through the discomfort and inconvenience of another surgery. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Regret over breast implant size.

+1

This is one of the most common complaints following breast augmentation. Generally I would discourage you  from going larger unless it is a significantly larger (approximately 50% larger).

Redo breast augmentation

+1

Women often have some regrets after a breast augmentation.  They are not sure if they chose the correct size.  Right after surgery, there is significant swelling of the breasts that increase the size of the breast.  After a couple of weeks, that swelling resolves and patients wish they would have stayed the size they were immediately after surgery.  However, as a few months pass, most patients are satisfied as they reach their final shape and size.  A long and detailed preoperative consultation is very important in determining this "ideal" size.  However, if after 3-6 months, the patient still wishes their breasts were larger, a revision of the augmentation can be performed.  Cost will vary by physician.  There often will be less pain in a revision because the muscle does not have to be manipulated as it was in the first surgery.

Naveen Setty, MD, FACS

Patients should wait a minimum of three months

+1

After breast augmentation, patients are sometimes discouraged about their final size after the swelling subsides.  I typically recommend patients wait a minimum of three months before considering replacing their implants with larger ones.  This allows adequate time for the swelling and inflammation to resolve, and it also allows the patient sufficient time to ponder the consequences of further surgery.  The surgery to place larger implants is relatively straightforward, and typically involves less pain and downtime then the initial procedure.  Still, any additional procedures do not come with risks.

Kelly Gallego, MD, FACS
Yuba City Plastic Surgeon

Implant Exchange for Increase in Size

+1

It is certainly your right to want to increase your size.  I would wait at least 3 months before entertaining implant exchange.  The cost of the procedure will depend on your surgeon's policies.  The pain if you wait would be less because the muscle would not have to be manipulated very much if at all.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Breast augmentation redo

+1

There are many changes, physically and psychologically, that occur after breast augmentation.  give yourself time. first to heal and to allow full resolution of the surgical procedure to "mature". Although healed on the outside, there are many changes that can occur up to 6 months.  Secondly, allow yourself to get to "live with" and "know" your new breasts.  You may not be so disappointed in 6 months and if you decide to proceed you will definitely be prepared.  Do not be afraid to discuss this with your surgeon and express your goals to him/her.  A secondary augmentation should carry with it a substantial reduction in the surgical component of the fee.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Revision after breast augmentation - larger implants

+1

There are changes in shape and appearance of your breasts which will occur during the first few months after breast augmentation, and you should probably try to wait at least 3 to 6 months before deciding on a revision. Larger implants may be possible but make sure to have a thorough discussion with your plastic surgeon about what limitations there may be in your particular case, so as to avoid another disappointment,

Olivia Hutchinson, MD