Body Jet vs. Other Liposuction Techniques

During my consultation today, my plastic surgeon mentioned a new liposuction technique that he is going to be using pretty soon called Body Jet. Apparantly it has been used in Europe for a while and now is coming to the US.

Would it be a better option than some of the other liposuction techniques? I certainly wouldn't mind less pain and swelling after the procedure, but I haven't heard of this one before and would like to know some more about it first.

Body jet - another tool to get better results!

+5

Body jet water assisted liposuction is yet another tool in the war against fat! It is not the best choice for every patient, but can be the best choice for many patients.

I frequently use the body jet in combination with other liposuction techniques to give patients that little "something extra" which can be the difference between a good and a great result. We have 4 other body contouring modalities that we use to help patients meet their goals:

• VASER - ultrasonic assisted liposuction
  • SmartLipo - Laser assisted liposuction
  • Zerona - Non surgical laser assisted fat dissolution
  • Standard Tumescent Liposuction

Below is are some examples of how we use 5 different body contouring tools to achieve optimal results for patients:

• Contouring of abdomen/flanks/extremities with fat transplantation (face or buttock) - Body jet
  • Contouring with tightening of loose skin abdomen or arms - Body jet or VASER + SmartLipo
  • Contouring/tightening neck skin - SmartLipo
  • Circumferential legs - Zerona (non-invasive pretreatment) + VASER + SmartLipo (inner thigh tightening)
  • Previously lipo-suctioned areas - VASER
  • Creating definition of the abdominal muscles and/or pectoral muscle areas - VASER +/- SmartLipo

Bottom line: Every patient has different needs; judicious use of different tools in the hands of a skilled surgeon can be advantageous in meeting the goals of each individual patient.

Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Body-Jet liposuction

+5

Body-Jet liposuction is a water-assisted liposuction technology that uses a pulsatile water jet at the end of the liposuction canula (the metal tube that goes into your body) to help dislodge the fat and remove it through the tube. I would agree with other surgeons on this topic and other liposuction topics that the most important part of a good liposuction result is the surgeon, and not the equipment.

However, the Body-Jet offers certain advantages that convinced me it has a legitimate place in the field of liposuction. For one, the water jet allows a more gentle application of the metal tube, with less trauma and back-and-forth force, allowing it to be done more easily under local anesthesia, with all the advantages of local anesthesia. I do not like doing conventional liposuction under local anesthesia only, but this technology makes it easier. There does seem to be less bruising and swelling and a quicker recovery, likely due to the gentleness of the water-assisted fat disruption, and the fact that most of the fluid is removed as it is injected (we don't need to pump up the area with as much fluid in the beginning).

Now some of the advantages I mentioned above are shared with other technologies like ultrasonic (VASER) or laser (SmartLipo) technologies. There is one benefit though, that those do not have. The fat that is removed with the Body-Jet is much better suited for reinjection than the fat removed by those techniques, which tend to destroy much of the fat cells by mechanical trauma, ultrasonic energy, or laser energy. Fat injection is a valuable technique in plastic surgery, but best when the fat is harvested gently (typically by hand liposuction techniques, which can be very tedious when harvesting a significant amount). Fat injection can restore volume to an aging face, augment buttocks, assist with breast reconstruction, and is gradually becoming more accepted in breast augmentation.

So in summary, I think Body-Jet liposuction is a technology with merit and I predict it will become increasingly popular.

Douglas J. Mackenzie, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

BodyJet Liposuction- What is it Good For?

+4

I have been using the BodyJet device for liposuction since Feb of 2010, and I reported on my results at the American Society of Plastic Surgeons Meeting in Toronto in 2010.  The benefits of the device are that it disperses the wetting solution (sometimes called tumescent solution) throughout the tissues using a jet spray.  The only benefit of this device is that it disperses the wetting solution more thoroughly, and therefore the surgeon can commence the liposuction sooner.  

Relatively small areas (such as the tummy, for example)  can be very efficiently treated with local anaesthesia alone without having to wait for diffusion to occur after injecting the wetting solution as with routine liposuction.   There is slightly less bruising from this device, but in all other respects I feel that the results from this device are as good as my standard techniques using small cannulas, it is just faster.   If I were undergoing a lipo procedure under local anaesthesia alone, then I would definitely want this machine to be used on me- it is very effective in quickly numbing the tissues.

The most important benefit of this device, in my opinion, is that it allows us to harvest excellent fat grafting material for fat grafting the breasts or other areas.  I have used the fat harvested from this machine for fat grafting very successfully and have posted the results on my website.

Claudio DeLorenzi, MD

Body jet liposuction

+3

Dear Liv

Every week there is a new type of liposuction procedure that is the latest and greatest in the world with guaranteed no swelling bruising etc. This is a new technique which to my knowledge has not yet been shown to be any better or worse than traditional liposuction. I can tell you that most of my liposuction patients are back to light exercise at 4-5 days after surgery. If you are interested in liposuction go to someone who is experienced. The rep for the company may be bringing in the machine for the doctor to try out. Ask him how many of this procedure he has done before he treats you.

Good luck.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Body jet liposuction

+2

Liposuction is a safe, popular, and effective way to contour the body. Today, there are many different flavors of liposuction. Body jet liposuction is a relatively new technique that injects water at the same time as the fat is removed. There is very little difference between this and tumescent liposuction where we first inject the tumescent fluid and then perform liposuction. In fact, tumescent liposuction may be more comfortable that it allows the fluid that is injected time to work before the fat is removed.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Body jet

+2

Body jet is another form of liposuction that used fluid irrigation while performing the procedure. I do not think that it will change the "face of the universe." Liposuction is liposuction, the key is to find a surgoen that produces consistently good results.

Is Body Jet Liposuction as revolutionary as my doctor says?

+2

Hi there-

Your safety and outcome are going to depend on the education, training, experience, and skill of the surgeon you choose, and only minimally on the machine they choose to use.

Please understand the following:

Tumescent liposuction, VASER Lipo, Smart Lipo, Cool lipo, Pro Lipo, Slim Lipo, Body Jet lipo...

What does this all mean? If I don't get Smart lipo does that mean I'm dumb? If my surgeon recommends Slim Lipo does that mean he/she isn't a "Pro"? It truly is a ridiculous situation we have come to with regard to liposuction and the number of people trying to cash in on America's desire to be rid of its collective fat.

In well motivated patients, body contour improvement can be a very healthy endeavor, but how is an otherwise intelligent and well-adjusted person to know the difference between a responsible provider of aesthetic services offering them safe options for help with their body contour and a poorly trained and inexperienced provider more interested in their wallet than in your outcome and safety?

It is first important to realize that all of these devices will require you to undergo a liposuction procedure. The only difference is the approach to the treatment of the fat prior to its removal.

Because they all involve liposuction, and this is in fact a surgical procedure, it is very important that you "do your homework" and find a surgeon certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery who has the years of training in liposuction necessary to give you the safe experience and superior outcome you deserve and desire. Behind the amazing number of machines now available to remove your fat, there has followed an army of their sales representatives and an equally impressive number of providers marketing themselves as "liposuction experts".

What has made them "liposuction experts"? In almost all cases, a few days or weekends training with the salesman for the device or with someone more experienced in the procedure. It is their promise that if you have the device in their possession brought to bear on your behalf, your fat will be gone, your skin will miraculously shrink away, you won't need any anesthesia because the device allows painless removal of the fat, and it can be done on your lunch hour. The only thing I am surprised by at this point is that they don't promise you'll get rich and be more sexually alluring after the procedure too.

Selling the particular device to patients is not unlike someone saying to you that because they will give you access to Tony Stewart's racing car that you will be able to win this weekend's race and make a million dollars. Tony Stewart wins races because he is a great racing car driver AND he has a great car...This is no different.

Getting the best outcome from a body contouring procedure depends most on finding a well-qualified and experienced surgeon, and much less on the device used.

Most of these people are so aggressive in their marketing of these questionable devices because they are, in fact, not trained plastic surgeons but rather are either not physicians at all, or they are doctors with core training which would not have prepared them to do liposuction. Many have read recently about a death in my home state of Florida after a healthy 40ish year old mother had liposuction performed by a rehabilitation medicine doctor. Amazingly, I know of eye doctors (!!) doing liposuction as well- and yes, they market themselves as "liposuction experts".

The particular device used can affect the overall experience, however.

Despite the claims of the manufacturer and the practitioners who plunked down the large sum the device costs, Smartlipo has never been proven to shrink skin better than tumescent liposuction. SmartLipo, SlimLipo, Prolipo, and Coolipo all use a laser to destroy the fat cells, allowing them to be removed by liposuction. My problem with these is that, first of all, as a scientist and doctor I am offended when false claims of benefit are made, and that because the lasers will burn whatever you point them at, I worry that your nerves, blood vessels, muscles, and skin may be injured by the laser.

Bottom line (and in my opinion) -- there is no benefit to these devices, they are expensive (meaning that the cost to you, the patient, will be higher as well), and the risks are higher.

Tumescent liposuction is the gold standard to which all other techniques must be compared. It has been proven to be safe and effective over many years (provided that it is performed by a well-trained surgeon). It involves the injection of a fluid into the fatty tissue layer that causes blood vessels to shrink and the fat to expand, making it easier to remove and lowering the risk of a complication.

VASER lipo involves an additional step, in which the fat (after injection of fluid but before suction is applied) is treated with ultrasound energy. Unlike the laser filaments used in SmartLipo and the other devices mentioned above, the VASER probe is blunt and the ultrasound energy it uses is much more specific for fat, so that the risk of injury to the blood vessels and nerves, as well as the muscles and skin are much lower. This is seen in the patient experience of reduced swelling and bruising.

Each time a new (revolutionary!) liposuction machine comes out, I think the most important questions to ask are not "Does it work?", but rather, "Does it work better than what is already available, is it less expensive (not more), and is it safer than what is already available?"

The VASER (in my opinion) passes this test, while the laser based devices do not.

Having said all of that, I would emphasize that it is the education, training, experience, and skill of the surgeon at the end of the liposuction device that will make the greatest difference in your outcome and safety. There is not substitute for the years of training Board Certified Plastic Surgeons receive in liposuction, directly supervised by other Board Certified Plastic Surgeons. A well trained and Board Certified Plastic Surgeon would be more than capable of achieving a better outcome through tumescent liposuction than any eye doctor with a Water Jet. As in the analogy of Tony Stewart above- a great professional with a great tool (like the VASER) would only make those results and their safety even greater.

Please know that I have no financial relationship with any of these companies and have personally tried each of the discussed technologies myself on patients.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Avoid Body Jet for liposuction.

+2

Hi.

This is all marketing without scientific evidence.  Tumescent liposuction has a long record of safety and excellent results with quick recovery.  That's what the experts in New York City use.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Body jet liposuction versus other devices

+1
I have been using body jet liposuction for 5 years. It is clearly superior to traditional liposuction in my hands.  Less fluid is retained in the tissues.  There is generally less bruising and swelling. And, it is an ideal method to harvest fat for fat grafting.

Body jet liposuction is a nice advance in technology and very safe.  Some of the safety problems associated with energy-based techniques (like laser liposuction), such as burns of the skin, are not an issue with the body jet.

The body jet is a great tool, but it remains just a tool for a surgeon to use.  The experience and judgment of the surgeon remain the most critical component of any liposuction procedure.

Timothy Connall, MD

Body jet Aquashape Aqualipo Water-assisted liposuction

+1

All the names above are the same.  I have used this technology, this type of liposuction for about 20 months ( just more than one and a half years).  It is clearly superior to other types of liposuction if used correctly.  The big differences are: 

1. No large tumescent solution infusion.  Unlike all other types of liposuction, a large tumescent infusion is not needed.  So unlike the "wet" or "superwet" techniques, there is no draining fluid after and no fluid overload.
  2. Aquashape can be performed under local anesthesia, without any oral or IV sedation.  Yes, it is true, and not hype, that it is possible to do the procedure under local anesthesia.  This means that for the right person, you can stand up from the table and go back to work or even drive yourself home.
  3. Aquashape uses smaller cannulas that are gentler and less traumatic to the tissues.  Most lipousuction is performed with 4 or 5 mm diameter cannulas, Aquashape is done with 3.5 or 3.8mm cannulas, but the diameter is really smaller, because there is a water-jet tube within the cannula, so the true suction diameter is closer to 2mm.
  4. Aquashape water jet is strong enough to loosen the fat.  No other more traumatic energy source is necessary, including  laser, vaser, ultrasound.
  5. Your liposuction result is strongly dependent on your surgeon.  If the body jet  or Aquashape is used by an inexperienced plastic surgeon, or if the technology is used like other techniques of liposuction it will not show the better result.  It is a technique that can produce superior results in the right hands.

Jeffrey Ditesheim, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon