Is 61 Years Old to Old for Tummy Tuck and Breast Reduction?

Getting there but may still be okay

+2

Your chronological age is working against you but if you are physiologically and emotionally younger it might still be safe to do.  Go to a few excellent plastic surgeons for a complete evaluation and ask them.

61 years years old is not too old for a tummy tuck and breast reduction

+1

The combination of a tummy tuck with a breast reduction is a very popular one. The chronologic age does not matter as much as the patient's physiologic age. What I mean by that is that before proceeding with the surgery, you should receive a full medical clearance to make sure that you are healthy enough for this combination of procedures. If you have a good heart and lung function, and have no active medical issues you can be an excellent candidate for this combination. Your best bet is to work with a plastic surgeon who is board certified and has a great deal of experience with abdominoplasty and breast reduction techniques. This surgeon will be able to assess your tissue and provide you with the options that will be best in your case.

To learn more about tummy tucks, see photos, and help you decide which one is best for you, please visit us at the link below:

Web reference: http://www.miamiaesthetic.com/abdominoplasty_photos.htm

Tummy tuck and breast reduction

+1

61 is not too old to have a tummy tuck and breast reduction.  If you are healthy it should be fine. I routinely have patients get medical clearance prior to surgery.

If you are healthy, then age does not matter

+1

As long as your are healthy for surgery (strong heart, no lung problems, etc), then there is no reason why you can have surgery.  You may want to consider having your breast done at one time and the belly at another if there is any concern about the length of anesthesia or the recovery time.

Health is the major consideration for surgery

+1

Dear Joann:

When deciding whether to have surgery, health is more important to consider than age. I have performed both of these surgeries on patients older than you, however, I have done each surgery separately. Performing both procedures at the same time would increase the risk of developing a complication.

As long as you are in good health, I see no reason why you can't have the surgeries you are intereseted in if you are a candidate.

Good luck.

Munster Plastic Surgeon

Your health, not your age, is the primary issue

+1

As long as your overall health is ok, you should be fine.  I would recommend have a regular checkup and a medical clearance from your doctor, and as long as all of that is normal, most plastic surgeons would be fine performing your procedure.

Good luck!

Dr. Salemy

Web reference: http://www.drsalemy.com

Age is not the major factor.

+1

Overall general health of a patient is the most important factor when considering anabdominoplasty . If you are in good health and don't have any major risk factors, such as cardiac or pulmonary disease and have had a recent full physical exam and found to be in good health, then you are most likely a good candidate for the surgery.

Medford Plastic Surgeon

Combining surgeries

+1

A patient's age is in itself not a reason not to have surgery. However it may be best to perform large surgeries at separate times. The proper accreditations and credentials of support personnel are also important for patient safety.

It is our protocol to obtain a cardiac stress test in all patients undergoing an anesthetic over the age of 50. A stress echocardiogram may also be wise, depending on the circumstances. These tests give an additional margin of assurance against complications.

Both surgeries you mention are incredibly gratifying for the patient.

I would think twice before combining these procedures in a 61 year old

+1

This is an excellent question and you are absolutely right to be concerned. First, it is important to have clearance prior to any elective surgery at your age. Second, assuming you pass with flying colors, it is still prudent to consider having these procedures done in two separate surgeries. It is well known that combining procedures with an abdominoplasty increases the risk of a DVT (deep veous thrombosis), which could result in a PE (pulmonary embolus), which can be fatal. Increased age is also a risk factor for PE, as are lengthy sugeries. Unfortunately, I have seen more and more surgeons willing to acquiesce to patient's desires and perform these types of combined procedures despite increased risk factors such as age. Be careful and prudent - it is your health and your life - get several opinions and remember - the surgeons who would be willing to let you leave rather than do a surgery they consider unsafe may be the ones you should be listening to.

Web reference: http://www.hankinsplasticsurgery.com

Absolutely not too old.

+1

As others have said, it is not your age, but your health. You would need a primary care doctor to see you and do a complete physical exam and physical. You would also require an EKG and chest x ray. If all those are good and you are in good health than defiantly do the surgery and make yourself look as young as you feel.