Is 61 Years Old to Old for Tummy Tuck and Breast Reduction?

Getting there but may still be okay

+2

Your chronological age is working against you but if you are physiologically and emotionally younger it might still be safe to do.  Go to a few excellent plastic surgeons for a complete evaluation and ask them.

+1

Thank you for the question. Your age is absolutely not a contraindication to tummy tuck surgery; assuming you are in good health and a good candidate for the procedure you may have an excellent outcome with the procedure. In my practice, I would ask that you obtain “medical clearance” from the doctors who know you best, prior to proceeding. Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.  You may find the attached link, dedicated to tummy tuck surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

61 Year Old Tummy Tuck and Breast Reduction Patient

+1
An in-person consultation with a reputable board certified plastic surgeon is the best way to determine if a tummy tuck and breast reduction are suitable for you. In my experience, 61 is definitely not too old! Your general physical and mental health are far more important when considering a tummy tuck than just your age. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Too old for tummy tuck?

+1
Thank you for your post. Age is not a contraindication to surgery. Poor health is. If you are a healthy adult, and interested in a tummy tuck surgery, meet with a board certified plastic surgeon. He or she will assess you as a patient for any risks you might have. The biggest risks are heart disease, diabetes, smoking, high blood pressure, and previous history of deep venous thrombosis.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

61 years years old is not too old for a tummy tuck and breast reduction

+1

The combination of a tummy tuck with a breast reduction is a very popular one. The chronologic age does not matter as much as the patient's physiologic age. What I mean by that is that before proceeding with the surgery, you should receive a full medical clearance to make sure that you are healthy enough for this combination of procedures. If you have a good heart and lung function, and have no active medical issues you can be an excellent candidate for this combination. Your best bet is to work with a plastic surgeon who is board certified and has a great deal of experience with abdominoplasty and breast reduction techniques. This surgeon will be able to assess your tissue and provide you with the options that will be best in your case.

To learn more about tummy tucks, see photos, and help you decide which one is best for you, please visit us at the link below:

Pat Pazmino, MD

Tummy tuck and breast reduction

+1

61 is not too old to have a tummy tuck and breast reduction.  If you are healthy it should be fine. I routinely have patients get medical clearance prior to surgery.

If you are healthy, then age does not matter

+1

As long as your are healthy for surgery (strong heart, no lung problems, etc), then there is no reason why you can have surgery.  You may want to consider having your breast done at one time and the belly at another if there is any concern about the length of anesthesia or the recovery time.

David Shafer, MD

Health is the major consideration for surgery

+1

Dear Joann:

When deciding whether to have surgery, health is more important to consider than age. I have performed both of these surgeries on patients older than you, however, I have done each surgery separately. Performing both procedures at the same time would increase the risk of developing a complication.

As long as you are in good health, I see no reason why you can't have the surgeries you are intereseted in if you are a candidate.

Good luck.

David A. Robinson, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Your health, not your age, is the primary issue

+1

As long as your overall health is ok, you should be fine.  I would recommend have a regular checkup and a medical clearance from your doctor, and as long as all of that is normal, most plastic surgeons would be fine performing your procedure.

Good luck!

Dr. Salemy

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Age is not the major factor.

+1

Overall general health of a patient is the most important factor when considering anabdominoplasty . If you are in good health and don't have any major risk factors, such as cardiac or pulmonary disease and have had a recent full physical exam and found to be in good health, then you are most likely a good candidate for the surgery.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon