Irritation/allergic Reaction to Sutures? (photo)

I am 3wks po TT, lipo and umb hernia repair.1 wk after I noticed one area of my abd incision getting red and drainging a sm amount of sero/sang fluid w/an area of swelling. I was aspirated to check for a seroma (-).I saw my ps weekly for this non healing wound that is now the size of a quarter w/some tunneling.I pack the wound. He states its localized and a reaction from the dissolvable sutures. Can I be having a reaction to sutures inside? I do not want to be abscessing inside also.

Stitch Abcesses

+2

Some patients can be allergic to sutures or have strong reactions to them that look like infection.  They can also work themselves to the surface.  A stitch abcess is a localized reaction and not classified as an infection.  removal of the stitch usually solves the problem.  If you have permanent sutures, they can become infected and require removal.  I would discuss this matter further with your surgeon.  All the best.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Concerns about Incision Line Healing after Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+2

Congratulations on having undergone the tummy tuck procedure.  Although it is not possible to give you precise advice, generally speaking most infectious complications would likely have already happened by now ( 3 weeks after surgery). It is very likely that your plastic surgeon is correct and that superficial separations may be related to suture related issues such as "spitting”  of the sutures.  These areas tend to go on to heal without detraction from the and results of the procedure.

At this point I would suggest continued patience and close follow-up with your plastic surgeon;  it is very likely that you will be pleased with the long-term outcome of the procedure performed.