15wks After Tt and I Have Firmness and Some Swelling Above and Below my Healed Scar, is This Normal?

Tummy Tuck Recovery

+2

Hi Babyraf

Its difficult to provide individual advice without a photo, and (of course) a full examination is always better still. However..

Most of your swelling should have gone by now. The remaining firmness and contour changes around your scar will need some help to resolve. You should check with your plastic surgeon before starting any treatments that they have not requested. They will also be able to tell you if there is a seroma (fluid collection) still hanging around that will need drainage.

Assuming there is no seroma, then scar massage will help (you can do this yourself). If you can find a good massage therapist they should be able to help reduce any remaining fluid. I usually have my abdominoplasty patients massaged at their 4 week follow up appointment to help shift the remaining tissue fluid (oedema).

If this does not work, it is likely that some remaining fat will need to be removed, usually best done by liposuction.

Good Luck

Dr Gavin Sandercoe

Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Firmness above TT scar

+2

A firm ridge and swelling above and below a tummy tuck incision is common and most will also have numbness just above. The tummy tuck has the longest healing, nine months or more. Massage or ultrasound and a return to exercise can help move things along.

+2

It can take 6-12 months for all the swelling to resolve. Without a photo, I cannot say more. Consider reposting with before and after pictures. 

All the best.