I'm An IPL Technician and Starting to Lose Hair. Could It Be From The Light From IPL Flash?

Ive started working as an ipl technician for the past year, I have black hair on my head and i have noticed my hair snapping and breaking and getting weaker, it has come to the stage where i cant even wear my hair down anymore, i am wondering is it the constent flashing light weaking my hair, i am really worried about this, can you please help

Hair Loss Info

+1

What is your age? You are most likely suffering from an early stage of androgenic alopecia, also known as pattern baldness. However, since it seems like your hair has digressed in its health drastically in just one year, it may be another underlying medical condition. Different factors contribute to hair loss, which distinctly affect men and women. Men tend to lose hair based solely on genetics. Women typically experience temporary hair loss due to psychological factors and permanently due to aging and hormonal imbalance.

The most common factor in hair loss for men and women is pattern baldness. Pattern baldness is characterized by a well-defined pattern in men. Hair loss begins above both temples, followed by a receding hairline and crown loss. For those who experience baldness, 95 percent of them have pattern baldness as the cause. Two-thirds of men will suffer from it by the age of 35, 85 percent by the age of 50. Additionally, 25 percent of these men will experience hair loss from pattern baldness by the age of 21. You should make an appointment with your primary care physician to discuss the exact cause, as well as options.

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Hair loss as an IPL technician

+1

Sorry to hear about your hair loss. It is unlikely that the "laser" light from your machine is traveling that distance to affect your hair. What you need to do now is to go see a local dermatologist or hair transplant surgeon and get to the bottom of this hair loss. Is it medically related (like thyroid problems or anemia)? Is it autoimmune (like telogen affluvium)? Is it female pattern hair loss (common)? Is it something you are doing in terms of styling (harsh products or weaves/braids that are overly tight)?  There are many things to explore and an in-person consultation is your next step in getting to the bottom of this.  Best of luck to you. Dr. P

Allan J. Parungao, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon