Does IPL Work on Faded Age Spots?

I had 3 IPL treatments on my face. The first two worked and the 3rd one did absolutely nothing! Is it possible that it doesn't work on faded age spots (I still have many on my face)or do you think the machine wasn't set right?

IPL not enough...Consider Fraxel....

+1

The depth of your brown spots plays a big role in the effectiveness of the IPL.  Superficial brown spots are easily targeted and treated with IPL.  You may have to consider getting a different treatment to zone in on the many leftover brown spots the the IPL can not get to.  I would suggest Fraxel laser, as one to consider.

Hope this helps.  Good luck.

Dr. Grant Stevens  

IPL treatment protocol is three treatments, try combination therapy

+1

Generally, the treatment protocol for IPL is three treatments, or until you do not see any improvement after a treatment. In your case, you seem to have reached that point. This should have been covered in your consultation.

You may be a good candidature for at home care/maintenance with a bleaching cream, such as blanchisse. You may also consider combination therapy with a treatment such as factional, that will even your skin tone. This however, depends on the depth of the discoloration. Again, this should be discussed at a consultation.

Whenever you are ready to undergo any esthetic procedure, it is best to have a consultation with a board certified cosmetic doctor or dermatologist, or an experienced technician who you trust. A good medispa team will give you the honest answers for your unique situation (your starting point, your objectives and your budget).

At the Victoria Park Medispa, we offer complimentary consultations with our technicians, therefore reducing a client’s risk of having a treatment performed without taking the time to think about what they really want. Any esthetic tool needs to be in the right hands, to achieve the best possible results.

Steven Bernstein, MD
Montreal Dermatologic Surgeon

IPL for brown spots

+1

Each brown spot is different and depending upon the depth of the pigment within the area treated will dictate the effectiveness of treatment. In other words, if pigment is deeper than the IPL reaches it will not work, if it is superficial you will have better chance of it working.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon