IPL Vs. ProFractional Resurfacing?

I am 29, have pale-ish olive skin. Have darker, pigmented spots on my face,some fine lines, light acne scarring on my forehead, and several broken capillaries around my nose. A consultant said I'd need 4-6 treatments of IPL or do 1 profractional treatment.

I looked at profractional videos; seemed to be for more serious conditions & saw some post-treatment horror stories. Heard IPL was for pigmentation, but read it can help with lines, etc. Is this true? I cant take a lot of time off with my job, but dont want IPL to be a waste of time. HELP?

Which laser is right

+1

One of the problems with trying to use an "all in one" machine like an IPL or a fractional treatment is that these machines are not designed to all these things well. The gold standard for the conditions you mention is below and you will see that the best solution to each of the conditions you mention can never be contained in one device.

• Fine lines. Based on what we see, you may be better off with a bit of Botox or Restylane than laser resurfacing. IPL will not do much for fine lines, but the profractional my help.
  • Acne Scarring. The profractional may be a good option in this situation but the IPL would be a bad choice. Acne scarring typically requires a deeper thermal injury to the skin than is seen with an IPL.
  • Pigmentation. Q-switched lasers are the gold standard for quick and permanent removal. IPL may help, but you'll be back in 3-6 months for the same treatments.
  • Veins. A KTP or long pulsed Nd:Yg laser will easily remove these veins and keep them away. IPL may help, but you'll be back again soon for the same treatments.

Good luck with your treatments, but remember, one machine cannot be the best for each of the conditions you want help with.