Fat Loss After IPL Treatment?

I have had one IPL treatment only, and my cheeks are now significantly more hollow than before treatment. It has been over two weeks now, and I can see the major difference. I swelled badly form the IPL, but no external burns. How much longer and how much more fat will come out?

IPL does not typically cause fat destruction? Very unusual

+2

This is  a very unusual complication and if it were to happen consistently, it would replace liposuction and mesotherapy entirely as a non-invasive method of fat removal.

Radiofrequency is about the only other non-ivasive fat reducing techology.

IPL does not cause loss of facial fat

+1

Dear Blumenauer,

Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) is typically used for hair removal or to treat discoloration of the skin. Redness after a treatment is typical, but significant swelling sounds unusual. Are you be using a new skin product that could be causing allergy?

I'm sorry you're having this problem, but the IPL light does not penetrate through the skin to affect the underlying fat.

If you're not satisfied with the explanation from your physician, please get another opinion from a physician that regularly performs IPL treatments.

I hope this helps, and best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon