Is the IPL the Right Treatment for PIH?

I have some PIH mostly caused by my own bad habit at picking at my occasional skin flare-ups.I assist PT at a spa where they will do these tx's at no charge for employees. Is there any way that IPL would make PIH worse? Would it help to use Hydroquinone leading up to a tx.?

IPL may help post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH)

+1

You did not mention your skin type nor how extensive the pigmentation is.

Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH) is common in darker skin types. Using the classic definition of skin typing, if you fall into the skin type 5 or 6 categories, IPL is not the appropriate modality for you to address focal areas of pigmentation. 

For darker skin types, a series of peels in conjunction with microdermabrasion or peels alone afford the most benefit without much risk. Optimizing your daily skin care regimen and adding topical hydroquinone before any treatments can be of great benefit.

You might find that proper skin care alone will resolve the issue without any other treatments.

Seattle General Surgeon