IPL for Sun Spots on Asian Skin?

I am of Asian descent. I have very fair (almost pale) skin. I am 30 yrs old. I also have some sun spots on my face that can be covered with make up. I just want to improve my complexion.

Would you suggest IPL for me? I have read the reviews about it, I am a bit worried that they'll burn my face. Please help me decide. Thank you!

IPL for Asian Skin

+1
Asian skin is especially difficult to treat since it can result in hyperpigmentation after an IPL treatment. Yes, Asian skin can be treated with IPL to help improve texture, tone and pigmentation with great results.

What is important is provider knowledge of Asian skin and experience treating it. Some patients are obviously not great candidates and the provider should be able to rule them out right away, and many Asian patient's are candidates within reasonable settings. Pre and post treatment education is vital for optimal outcomes. 

The number of treatments, frequency and settings will all vary depending on the candidate. We highly recommend patients to seek out experienced providers who have knowledge of working with this skin type. 

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

IPL for brown spots in Asian patients

+1

IPL can be a very effective treatment for brown spots in Asian patients. Make sure that your health care provider is very experienced in treating Asian skin. Make sure that they've had the device a long time (preferably more than two years), that the person using it has done many (more than 50) treatments and that the person is licensed to use it in your state, that a licensed physician is personally approving the settings used, that they use cooling--there are many factors to consider. We have been using IPL since 1995 and it's a great treatment when done correctly and by an adequately trained professional.

Margaret Weiss, MD
Baltimore Dermatologist