Does IPL Cause Fat Disintegration Underneath Facial Skin?

I am 50 years old and considering IPL treatment to my face for a few age spots and some surface scarring (white spots) left from removal of small basals. The goal is to have evenness again as I have given the white scarring a few years to fade but they haven't. The dermatologist recommended a whole face IPL but I don't want any other problems like fat disintegration. What can you tell me about this possible side effect? Thanks for your time.

IPL for brown spots

+1

IPL can fade brown spots.  It will not bring back the pigment in white scars and will not affect fat.

Toronto Dermatologist

No Problem

+1

The wavelength of even the deepest IPL , will not reach the subcutaneous fat. Therefore I do not see that this could possible be an issue.

Good luck. It should help.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

IPL and fat disintegration

+1

There is no risk of IPL causing fat disintegration as it does not go deep enough to affect the fat. While IPL is a reasonable treatment option, a fractionated ("resurfacing") laser (e.g. Fraxel, ProFractional) might be a better option to even out the skin tone and improve the basal cell scarring. 

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon