Does IPL Cause Fat Disintegration Underneath Facial Skin?

I am 50 years old and considering IPL treatment to my face for a few age spots and some surface scarring (white spots) left from removal of small basals. The goal is to have evenness again as I have given the white scarring a few years to fade but they haven't. The dermatologist recommended a whole face IPL but I don't want any other problems like fat disintegration. What can you tell me about this possible side effect? Thanks for your time.

IPL for brown spots

IPL can fade brown spots.  It will not bring back the pigment in white scars and will not affect fat.

Toronto Dermatologist

1849 Yonge Street
Toronto, ON M4S 1Y2

No Problem

The wavelength of even the deepest IPL , will not reach the subcutaneous fat. Therefore I do not see that this could possible be an issue.

Good luck. It should help.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

5320 Providence Road
Virginia Beach, VA 23464

IPL and fat disintegration

There is no risk of IPL causing fat disintegration as it does not go deep enough to affect the fat. While IPL is a reasonable treatment option, a fractionated ("resurfacing") laser (e.g. Fraxel, ProFractional) might be a better option to even out the skin tone and improve the basal cell scarring. 

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

4256 Bathurst Street
Toronto, ON M3H 5Y8